Completely Lost - NeoTicker Newbies

platform related discussion

Moderator: moderators

Oli

Postby Oli » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:32 am

When I first demo-ed NeoTicker I deleted it with disgust after 30 mins - so user unfriendly! Nothing the way you would think it would be: ie COUNTER-intuitive.

Now, after biting the bullet and spending HOURS making mistakes and getting nowhere, I am convinced it is simply the most powerful and OPEN trading platform that individual traders can afford.

It is so feature rich that I almost jump out of my chair cheering. Some simple examples:

1) chart objects are z-orderable with a simple right click!!! (OMG - how long have I waited for that!)
2) infinite (!) indicator on indicator with arithemtic operations with a right click (OMG!!!! so put an MA on a Stochastics and an EMA on a CCI and divide the first by the second and display it as a histo!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Man I am addicted to finding out what the limits are of myself and NeoTicker. All other platforms have involved ME hitting THEIR limits first. This time things are around the other way.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

jdaz

Postby jdaz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:01 pm

I also would suggest that anyone trying NeoTicker stay with it for awhile. It does have a steeper learning curve than other packages I've used but I've also found it offers many features others do not. After many hours with it you will begin to gain productivity in coding your systems and the interface will become more intuitive.

What I have found to be frustrating is NeoTicker's technical support. Their response times are very slow or non-existent. Many times when you do get a response, it simply points you to their user?s manual, as if they assume you haven't already spent hours trying to decipher their documentation. It is hard to learn a new platform when it's difficult to get timely technical support answers, especially since NT has many less examples posted on their site than other platforms have and their documentation is very poor.

Perhaps this site will become the better alternative for getting NT help than tickquest?s technical support.

Beebers

Postby Beebers » Sat May 05, 2007 2:01 am

I took the plunge and bought NT this week. I had demo-ed it and read many good things about it (ie Steenbarger's book). Also, I have been a lurker regarding TRO. I learned a lot from TRO when I was using TS. Later I switched to Esignal but I was never happy with the charting (and programming method). I use a lot of custom charts.
In any case, I want to thank you sincerly for this forum, because it does help a lot.
Yes, NT has a learning curve, but so did TS. NT is just awesome. I can't believe the things it can do in just a few minutes with the manual (which might take me a day or two in Esignal to figure out).
Cheers,

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Sun May 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Beebers,

you mentioned the manual. That's cool you did as some people don't even have a look at the manual and then go ahead and say that Neo is not intuitive (as they can't do this or that "right away" without a manual).

Seems like one of the well-known Murphy's laws is still obeyed by many:
  • "If everything else fails, consult the manual"

Michal

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Mon May 07, 2007 6:22 pm

I have been using NeoTicker now for a couple of years. It was a very tough go for me in several ways and I've often wondered why it was so tough and why it is so tough for others.

I've come up with a couple of ideas about why. The common complaint, with which I agree 100% and disagree at the same time, is that "NeoTicker is not intuitive".

I agree that it's not intuitive for newbies. But for experienced users, I gotta' say that it's pretty darn simple to do things quickly with relatively easily accessed controls.

One dimension to this problem is that NeoTicker has a lot of capabilities and it's necessary to put them somewhere in the app to be accessed. You wouldn't want to have them hanging off lots of menus. That would get old very quickly. Instead, just about everything needed can be quickly accessed with a object selection and a right click of the mouse. That right click brings up a menu appropriate to the selected object, be it a chart, a symbol, or an indicator.

Another dimension to the problem for newbies is that the major designer behind NeoTicker is actually a trader also. In getting to know him and how he thinks a bit, I think it's fair to say that his primary objective is NOT to make the product friendly for newbies but instead to make it as productive as possible for users experienced with it....

Think about that difference of objectives... I agree with Michal that this is a very good thing but it does have it's costs.

Finally, I have a recommendation for you and other newbies... As I mentioned above, NeoTicker is very much a "right click (of the mouse) and go" kind of application. So the thing to do to get to know where all the functionality is is to spend an hour or two or three just clicking on objects and reviewing all the menu options that come up. I guarantee that if you really do spend 2 hours doing that, you'll come away with a much better understanding of how to use it.

Once final point after re-reading...

I still learn something new about NeoTicker all the time. As comfortable as I am with it at this point, there is still more to learn.

euro99

Postby euro99 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:48 am

Either here (or elsewhere - I forget) I have read one or two posts attacking the stability of neoticker and suggesting that it is prone to crash.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Is / Was crashing a problem and is there anything one can do to prevent it?

I have been testing smartquant extensively I have just bought neoticker because - in my opinion and for my applications - smartquant does not appear to be stable enough at this point.

Comments welcome.

stuart18020

Postby stuart18020 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Fairly recently, there have been crash issues. I believe they have been resolved with the latest releases.

In my case, conflict with the COMODO firewall resulted in crashes when using the mouse to adjust drawing tools etc. Removal of COMODO has fixed the problem.

Tech support is quite responsive in these matters.

jazzguy

Postby jazzguy » Thu May 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me(a newbie of neoticker) that Neoticker is very oriented towards the US market but I am trading in the Asian market namely Singapore and Shanghai market. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

Beebers

Postby Beebers » Thu May 10, 2007 7:42 pm

Why? You can use any datafeed you desire ....

Beebers

Postby Beebers » Mon May 21, 2007 5:54 pm

It is getting better all the time. EVery day I try to add a little more, study a bit more, and just make an inch of progress. Here is my current setup. I really like the formulas in the quote window with changing color for showing trend (like radarscreen in TS but a lot more flixible).

cheers
Attachments
ScreenHunter_04 May. 21 10.51.gif
ScreenHunter_04 May. 21 10.51.gif (194.59 KiB) Viewed 10421 times

Return to “NeoTicker platform”