MetaTrader 4 and MQL 4 overview

Moderator: moderators

Lenar
rank: <50 posts
rank: <50 posts
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Russia
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Lenar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:31 am

michal.kreslik wrote:Lenar,

the RadarScreen feature in Tradestation is rather unique. As far as I know, there's no other publicly available trading platform offering this functionality (correct me if I am wrong). I would also say that the RadarScreen is the sole reason for many real-time traders to use Tradestation over other platforms.

Would you be willing to add this feature to MetaTrader4?

Michal


Michal,

im not sure about it. If traders community will strongly demand it, we will add it, of course. Maybe it will be realized in MetaTrder 5 :)
Best Regards, Lenar Fatkhullin
MetaQuotes Software Corp.
http://www.metaquotes.net

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
michal.kreslik
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Real name: Michal Kreslik
Gender: Male
Contact:

timeframe optimization

Postby michal.kreslik » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:56 pm

Thanks, Lenar.

Next I'd like to ask you: is it possible to optimize a bar timeframe?

The possible result might be that your trading system works best with the 60 min bars.

NeoTicker is capable of this while Tradestation is not.

Thanks much,
Michal

User avatar
michal.kreslik
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Real name: Michal Kreslik
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby michal.kreslik » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:18 am

Also, the FX traders here are interested in knowing if it is possible to include the FX spread in the simulation. With Tradestation, the only trading costs you may include in the backtest are commissions and slippage.

Thanks,
Michal

Lenar
rank: <50 posts
rank: <50 posts
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Russia
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: timeframe optimization

Postby Lenar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:13 am

michal.kreslik wrote:Thanks, Lenar.

Next I'd like to ask you: is it possible to optimize a bar timeframe?

The possible result might be that your trading system works best with the 60 min bars.

NeoTicker is capable of this while Tradestation is not.

Thanks much,
Michal


Hi Michal,

You should write period-independed Expert (Period have to be external variable) and when you want to test it on different timeframes, you should start optimization on Period parameter.
Best Regards, Lenar Fatkhullin

MetaQuotes Software Corp.

http://www.metaquotes.net

Lenar
rank: <50 posts
rank: <50 posts
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Russia
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Lenar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:14 am

michal.kreslik wrote:Also, the FX traders here are interested in knowing if it is possible to include the FX spread in the simulation. With Tradestation, the only trading costs you may include in the backtest are commissions and slippage.

Thanks,
Michal


im not sure that understood you well. Please give me more details, Michal.
Best Regards, Lenar Fatkhullin

MetaQuotes Software Corp.

http://www.metaquotes.net

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
michal.kreslik
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Real name: Michal Kreslik
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby michal.kreslik » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:33 am

Being able to optimize the timeframes is really cool, Lenar. Tradestation can't do that, NeoTicker can and now we know MetaTrader4, too.

I can tell you that the alternative platforms list discussed on our Yahoo group

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRumpledOne

(only about 20% of the members have migrated here so far) has narrowed to NeoTicker and MetaTrader4 I would say.

Lenar wrote:
michal.kreslik wrote:Also, the FX traders here are interested in knowing if it is possible to include the FX spread in the simulation. With Tradestation, the only trading costs you may include in the backtest are commissions and slippage.

Thanks,
Michal


im not sure that understood you well. Please give me more details, Michal.



OK, in a nutshell:
- you need to subtract the costs of trading when you backtest
- in Forex, the principal cost of trading is the spread, i.e. the difference between the Bid and the Ask prices
- in EURUSD, the spread is typically 3 points
- is it possible to subtract the spread of 3 points from every closed out trade in backtest?

Strangely enough, you can't subtract spread in Tradestation. You can only subtract commissions or slippage in dollars, which is a workaround for USD-priced pairs, but that doesn't work for other pairs.

Example:
- EURUSD, 1 lot, spread 3 points = spread is $30 a trade
- GBPUSD, 1 lot, spread 4 points = spread is $40 a trade
- USDCHF, 1 lot, spread 4 points = spread is CHF 40 a trade
- EURGBP, 1 lot, spread 3 points = spread is GBP 30 a trade

etc.

The trick is to be able to denominate the spread in the price currency, which is not always USD.

Michal

Lenar
rank: <50 posts
rank: <50 posts
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Russia
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Lenar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:01 pm

michal.kreslik wrote:Being able to optimize the timeframes is really cool, Lenar. Tradestation can't do that, NeoTicker can and now we know MetaTrader4, too.

I can tell you that the alternative platforms list discussed on our Yahoo group

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRumpledOne

(only about 20% of the members have migrated here so far) has narrowed to NeoTicker and MetaTrader4 I would say.

Lenar wrote:
michal.kreslik wrote:Also, the FX traders here are interested in knowing if it is possible to include the FX spread in the simulation. With Tradestation, the only trading costs you may include in the backtest are commissions and slippage.

Thanks,
Michal


im not sure that understood you well. Please give me more details, Michal.



OK, in a nutshell:
- you need to subtract the costs of trading when you backtest
- in Forex, the principal cost of trading is the spread, i.e. the difference between the Bid and the Ask prices
- in EURUSD, the spread is typically 3 points
- is it possible to subtract the spread of 3 points from every closed out trade in backtest?

Strangely enough, you can't subtract spread in Tradestation. You can only subtract commissions or slippage in dollars, which is a workaround for USD-priced pairs, but that doesn't work for other pairs.

Example:
- EURUSD, 1 lot, spread 3 points = spread is $30 a trade
- GBPUSD, 1 lot, spread 4 points = spread is $40 a trade
- USDCHF, 1 lot, spread 4 points = spread is CHF 40 a trade
- EURGBP, 1 lot, spread 3 points = spread is GBP 30 a trade

etc.

The trick is to be able to denominate the spread in the price currency, which is not always USD.

Michal


Michal there is no need to use any tricks. Strategy tester emulates server fully. All spreads are described in currency settings.
Best Regards, Lenar Fatkhullin

MetaQuotes Software Corp.

http://www.metaquotes.net

forest
rank: <50 posts
rank: <50 posts
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:58 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby forest » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:04 pm

I have been playing around with MT4 (StrategyBuilderFX) and am having a blast. Very easy to set up and trade with, at least with the demo account. I have not tried any programming yet, but have downloaded and tried quite a few indicator combinations, some of which look promising for forex trading.

This as opposed to Neoticker which I am still having troubles getting the datafeed implemented, even though I have an account with Interactive Brokers. Thus, Neoticker is not getting as much screentime as MT4 which is unfortunate for Neoticker since there is only a 30 day trial and time is now running for my copy.

Of course this is only one minor issue to be considered, but when you are up and running on one system as soon as you download it, as opposed to having to spend time configuring the software when you would rather be experimenting with trading scenarios...

User avatar
michal.kreslik
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Monte Carlo, Monaco
Real name: Michal Kreslik
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby michal.kreslik » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:00 pm

Lenar,

thanks again for your answers. New questions arise as we learn about the features in the new NeoTicker Grid Optizimer that will be reelased shortly http://kreslik.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=346

- is it possible to optimize accross multiple computers for maximum horspower?
- is it possible to suspend the optimization, allowing modification of rules and ranges and then resume?

Thanks,
Michal

aspTrader
rank: 50+ posts
rank: 50+ posts
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:05 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: None specified

Postby aspTrader » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:43 pm

Guess what platform has a Tradestation Radar Screen like capability that is superior to Radar Screen and it's included in the platform for free.

TRO would go cracy with these capabilities.

That's right... You guessed it!

It's NeoTicker...

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.


Return to “MetaTrader”