walk-forward testing

trading strategies and money management discussion, code, results

Moderator: moderators

michal.kreslik

walk-forward testing

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:50 pm

jstockman wrote:Dear TRO,

Thank-you for the statistics not radar code. I am digesting it.

I have a couple of questions.

1. What is walk-forward out of sample testing? And do you use it.

Jimmy,

TRO doesn't like backtesting. He trades successfully in a semi-discretionary environment with a set of his renowed indicators and with his smart, experienced traderbrain.

So you should never ever utter words like "backtesting", "walk-forward testing" etc. in front of Avery :lol:

In fact, I am a backtesting type of guy instead :D That's why we are teasing each other with Avery all the time :D

Walk-forward testing is best descibed in Rober Pardo's book "Design, Testing and optimization of Trading Systems". You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471554464/

Very simply put, wall-forward testing is in fact looking at what your strategy would do after it has been optimized and put to the real, live trading.

The basic walk-forward testing is done by assessing the equity curve gradient and other factors compared accross the in-sample and out-of-sample trading period.

Advanced walk-forward methods involve computing the WF efficiency by dividing the averaged WF objective value (for example, netprofit) by the averaged in-sample objective value. The walk-forward may be done in several time windows, each representing a brand new "live" trading outcome.

Read the book I've recommended above and you'll become more versant in the subject.

Michal

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

jstockman

BackTesting/Walk-Forward Testing

Postby jstockman » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:12 am

Michael,

Thank-you and TRO for your replies. Hopefully I will grow in this environment and can contribute back to the TC.

Jimmyj

Return to “strategy trading & money management”