Best Platform from Work

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

Randolermo

Best Platform from Work

Postby Randolermo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:34 pm

I assume many on this forum work the normal M-F work week. :(

I do and have been looking at getting TS but my company will not allow it on my PC. :x So I was hoping someone could tell me a good service I can use at work for "no delay" stocks quotes so I can react qucikly which is necessary for "Miliking the Cows" strategy. :wink:

For forex, I can use OANDA at work and hope there is another like it since EFX can't be used from work same as above reason for TS.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Rando

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

Patch

Postby Patch » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi Rando

What about using a notebook and using a cell card to connect online? Or what about setting up TS to auto trade from home?

If you switched over to Forex, could you load MetaTrader 4 on a work computer? What is the issue with TS? resources and size?

Patch
In VA
ENOUGH being a Yalie for me Back to the Sea. "What i can lose, i can win" "YES YOU CAN" - dragon33 -"Pick one method and one pair and stick with them until you master it. "The choice is yours - success or failure." TRO

LeroyB3

Postby LeroyB3 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:48 pm

I'm assuming the issue is a firewall and getting data through it. FWIW I have been using prophet.net at work for futures and stocks...not the best situation, but beggars can't be choosers.

Best,

LB

Randolermo

Postby Randolermo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm

There is a Firewall but OANDA works find for auto-refreshing so maybe that's not really a problem. The bigger one I believe is I need to load TS on my machine (unlike OANDA) which is a no no at my company (MT4 is not allowed either).

Maybe I should get a separate laptop with a cell card like Patch mentions and try TS that way.

Thanks all for the feedback...Rando

LeroyB3

Postby LeroyB3 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Randolermo,

Even if you do load TS on your work machine, you won't be able to get data to it if you are behind a corporate firewall unless you are friends with some IT guys who won't rat you out.

You don't think your boss will think something is weird if you bring in your own laptop with charts on it?

Best,

LB

Randolermo

Postby Randolermo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:29 pm

I would have to be discreet which is probably not worth it. I'm thinking of retiring at end of year so maybe I need to wait. Work is definitely in the way. :(

I want to use TS for TRO scripts plus listen in on Paltalk at 8:30AM to do the trades I want. I don't see an easy way until I retire... :cry:

Thanks again...Rando

Zoul

Postby Zoul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:58 pm

I have the same issue where I'm at. Every night the company computers are scanned for 'unauthorized' programs. That's the issue with psudo-government.

A possible solution for me is to bring in a laptop and plug it in and put it in the desk drawer and connect to the wireless network. I would attach it to a KVM switch that will allow me to use the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. Then I can switch between the two systems without it being real obvious.

Since I spend part of my day coding and the other part looking busy, I would rater be looking busy with EasyLanguage. 8)

Just a thought, not that I would actually do that. :P

Patch

Postby Patch » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi there Zoul

Keep being busy for your company and for yourself. I like the ideal of a KVM switch.

We are neighbors. I am in Fairfax, VA and work in McLean, VA. Trading is my passion!

Patch
In VA

Zoul

Postby Zoul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Patch,

I love trading too. Cars, Horses, bikes, currency, whatever.

Luckily I'm talking to a past employer that I did a temp contract with and he is talking about bringing me on full time to replace someone. It's a small paycut, but the freedoms that I would get in exchange greatly outweigh any 'loss' in paycheck.

The best part is that I'm upfront about what I do and the bosses reply is "Just get done what I need and I don't care what else you do." :D

The restrictions here are making me nuts.

I'm looking foward to this.

Patch

Postby Patch » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:57 am

Randolermo

Retirement for profitable trading is awesome. While not everyone agrees with me, I believe you need to be able to paper trade successfully before you move to a live account. If you can't make money on paper, you will not make money in a live, real dollars on the line account either.

I've made a couple posts about emotions surprising me even in the process of using an auto trade, where I've been amazed watching and being tempted to close a position. If nothing else, each of us will face and learn to control our emotions--a very interesting process.

Patch
In VA

Return to “beginners forum”