bakedbeans' learning journal

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

bb01100100

Re: bakedbeans' learning journal

Postby bb01100100 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:17 pm

Eval accounts update:

Bulenox - Net -0.336%, +0.737% cumulative, target 6%
Apex - Net +0.119%, +2.06% cumulative, target 6%

I had a loss and I'm ok with that: I flip flopped between being down/flat and small-up/flat and took a trade at the end of the session looking for a push back to the high volume area. It didn't work out and that's ok.

I didn't implode, over-trade, etc and have to write another post-of-shame.

Trade copier was off again.. I've got all my logs open, etc so I'll go through what ever is happening.. I am starting to suspect it's because I trade ES on the main account and MES on the linked accounts.. there are differences in pricing of course and stops etc., between the two.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:29 am

bb01100100 wrote:Eval accounts update:

Bulenox - Net -0.336%, +0.737% cumulative, target 6%
Apex - Net +0.119%, +2.06% cumulative, target 6%

I had a loss and I'm ok with that: I flip flopped between being down/flat and small-up/flat and took a trade at the end of the session looking for a push back to the high volume area. It didn't work out and that's ok.

I didn't implode, over-trade, etc and have to write another post-of-shame.

Trade copier was off again.. I've got all my logs open, etc so I'll go through what ever is happening.. I am starting to suspect it's because I trade ES on the main account and MES on the linked accounts.. there are differences in pricing of course and stops etc., between the two.

Yes, don't do anymore prochargedmopar trades. They can be really bad for your account. Kaa-booom

Why do you think the Apex account is preforming better?
Trade Your Way as Long as It Makes Money!

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:46 pm

aliassmith wrote:
Yes, don't do anymore prochargedmopar trades. They can be really bad for your account. Kaa-booom

Edit: I had this drafted yesterday but didn't hit send.

Yeah, I want to make this work for the long term; so losing a week's worth of profit every time I'm wrong isn't going to get me there.

What really took the wind out of my sails when I failed the Bulenox account was realising that it wasn't the 2.2% loss of 4.x% gained, it was the reset to zero on the account. Groundhog day.

This morning I made a choice not to go down that path, but I was stewing about it for a while... then I acknowledged that the loss was consistent with my wins and that I'm able to resume trading tomorrow.

aliassmith wrote:Why do you think the Apex account is preforming better?

Some of it is that MES isn't the exact same mirror as ES - there are differences here and there. Today I got hooked into an ES trade but never triggered on MES.

I've spent a fair amount of time on the simulator today testing out configurations and think I've got a way forward until I can better articulate some questions to Frederik.

Edit: Frederik replied with some helpful configuration suggestions: if I disable any sort of brackets on the sync'd accounts and process add/reduce orders, then it seems to do exactly what I want. Yesterday I was experiencing 'reduce' orders being sync'd with too much size, but with his help I have now fixed that issue.

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 am

Eval accounts update:

Bulenox: Net +0.22%, 0.964% cumulative, target 6%
Apex: Net +0.29%, 2.36% cumulative, target 6%

My trading was OK today, but I'm disappointed that I got distracted with trading a retrace instead of focussing on the larger opportunity to position short for a run of a significant swing low. That larger opportunity played out without me. Still - no silly trading and reasonable management of my downside.

After we ran that lows it was getting close to 4pm ET, and I could see (with my handy VWAP squiggly line) that higher volume prices were above, so I captured some of that push higher. Yesterday this idea did not work out and I finished down; today it did and I finished modestly in the green.

A more relaxed version of me would have set my stop at break even near the lows let the price work its way further up, exiting at 4pm.

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:29 am

Trade copier update:

With some help from Frederik I've got a workable solution...
  • The Transmitter (trading account) sends orders to the Receivers.. (sync'd accounts)
  • I use brackets on my Transmitter trades: stops and multiple targets
  • Only the entry order is sync'd over to the Receivers.. (whether limit or stop)
  • The Receiver accounts don't have stops or targets pending - they trade without any bracket orders (if they do have brackets defined then things get out of sync between the Transmitter and Receivers..)
  • When stopped out, or when a tp is hit on the Transmitter, then Receivers will immediately do a market order to exit.
  • The trick to getting it to work was to accept that the Receivers shouldn't have their own stop or tp orders (so there is a risk that a missed signal from Transmitter to Receivers results in an open position that should have been closed) and to set the "add/reduce factor" to 1 instead of keeping it consistent with the Scale factor of 3 I am using for Apex.

Couple of piccies below to show how it looks - Transmitter on left (ES), Receiver on right trading (MES with size factor of 3x).

Entry order sync'd - 1x lot long ES and 3x lot long MES:
2023-10-19-copier-1.jpg
2023-10-19-copier-1.jpg (136.27 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

In a trade - Transmitter has stops and targets, Receiver has nothing:
2023-10-19-copier-2.jpg
2023-10-19-copier-2.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

Stopped out - (I moved the stop loss up) Transmitter stop order fired; Receiver hit market to get out:
2023-10-19-copier-4.jpg
2023-10-19-copier-4.jpg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

I keep all three charts up on the screen so immediately see if a signal is missed. Good enough for the time being.

This allows me to easily change lot sizes and brackets on the Transmitter without needing to do anything on the Receivers. It correctly handles mixing brackets with ad-hoc add/reduce orders ensuring the expected multiple of MES contracts are used when adding/reducing and exiting.

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:57 am

IgazI wrote:...

You don't need fancy names, colored bars, or months of study to spot an opportunity [-X

Hi IgazI, just saying thanks for your recent posts here.. I have been going over them repeatedly and asking myself which patterns I'm seeing during my trading sessions and if/how they fit into the structure I see on the hourlies.

It occurred to me this morning that I build a narrative during the session, and that the ideal narrative is wrong for a small amount of money and right for a large amount of money... so I know when my narrative is off.

I found the diagram of support patterns and your comments on how they can morph from one to the other quite helpful in terms of remaining open to all the possibilities, even when choosing one of them. The gap between what I think and what I do is how well I execute against the narrative as it unfolds.

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:52 pm

Eval accounts update:

Bulenox - Net +0.54%, 1.50% cumulative, 6% target
Apex - Net +0.47%, 2.84% cumulative, 6% target

Started off with a full stop-out because I kept my stop too close, but positioned again for a pullback and quickly scaled out leaving a 1x lot runner. In retrospect I should have trailed my runner's stops to capture at least some movement. I then took some small scalps; another full stop-out and then a rode a good retrace into a stall and exited everything.

I decided to stop then since I'd hit my daily goals and although my idea had worked out, it was less clear whether we were going to push higher or lower.
We pushed lower, which was consistent with the higher timeframe bias.. I need to practice keeping that in mind: there was a 12 point push lower that I could have participated in, even with a 1x lot to practice doing it. I did put my charts into Sim mode, but the move already underway and chasing the market isn't something I want to do.

Update: and in the last 5 mins, I see we've retraced 14 pts from the low. A beautiful reminder that being stubborn is deadly.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:03 pm

bb01100100 wrote:Eval accounts update:

Bulenox - Net +0.54%, 1.50% cumulative, 6% target
Apex - Net +0.47%, 2.84% cumulative, 6% target

Started off with a full stop-out because I kept my stop too close, but positioned again for a pullback and quickly scaled out leaving a 1x lot runner. In retrospect I should have trailed my runner's stops to capture at least some movement. I then took some small scalps; another full stop-out and then a rode a good retrace into a stall and exited everything.

I decided to stop then since I'd hit my daily goals and although my idea had worked out, it was less clear whether we were going to push higher or lower.
We pushed lower, which was consistent with the higher timeframe bias.. I need to practice keeping that in mind: there was a 12 point push lower that I could have participated in, even with a 1x lot to practice doing it. I did put my charts into Sim mode, but the move already underway and chasing the market isn't something I want to do.

Update: and in the last 5 mins, I see we've retraced 14 pts from the low. A beautiful reminder that being stubborn is deadly.

Learning some valuable lessons. Stubborn can be death.
Nice progress APex staying in the lead.
Trade Your Way as Long as It Makes Money!

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:11 pm

aliassmith wrote:
Learning some valuable lessons. Stubborn can be death.
Nice progress APex staying in the lead.

Yes; the trade copier worked very well this morning; no unpleasant surprises, which was a relief.

bb01100100

Postby bb01100100 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:13 pm

CFD account update:

Pop! When the market opens I'll take 2/3 of my position off and see what happens next.

Chart below is an H4.

2023-10-20-CORN-swing.jpg
2023-10-20-CORN-swing.jpg (127.39 KiB) Viewed 6946 times

Return to “beginners forum”