Grail genetic optimizer no longer available to public

trading strategy optimization using genetic algorithms

Moderator: moderators

michal.kreslik

Grail genetic optimizer no longer available to public

Postby michal.kreslik » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 pm

Effective June/1/2006, GGO won't be available to public. Wouter (Technovest Pty. president) signed an agreement with a large hedge fund manager in South Africa where part of the agreement is that only the hedge fund will make use of the software.

Fortunately, existing users (including me 8) ) will still receive support and activation codes when changing computers.

Full story:
http://thegrailblog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

bearwatch

Postby bearwatch » Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi Michal,

I'm currently leasing the GGO and GWFO and still undecided about purchasing (deadline is tomorrow). I need some strong arguments for and against owning and using them. At this point, I know there are good reasons for using it but there are other tools (Tradesmart in particular I like) are almost as good. I'd like to hear more from experience Grail users before making a decision, in particular about the re-optimization reminder. Thanks.

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Tue May 30, 2006 10:55 pm

Bearwatch,

I am using GGO every day and thanks to GGO I developed very fine, consistently profitable forex strategies. Of course, there are other GA tools like TS.GO for Tradestation. Optimax seems to be dead, though.

I am not in a position to give you strong pros or cons. You need to determine if some particular product gives you a desired edge.

I will be starting an academic project with people from several universities on the theme of Time series prediction in financial business systems using genetic algorithms soon. We will have a super-computing cluster available here in Brno, Czech Republic, for the research. The official pages of the project will be hosted on this website, so check again these pages if you're interested in GA/complexity/chaos/fuzzy logic time series prediction in trading systems.

Michal

bearwatch

Postby bearwatch » Wed May 31, 2006 11:38 am

Sounds exiciting, will be watching. I find the TS.GO easier (could be a trap as well), and so far is much faster and the support I've been getting is phenomenal. But since I've not arrived to a live strategies built by these tools, I'm still undecided. Thanks for input.

TomKeough

Re: Grail genetic optimizer no longer available to public

Postby TomKeough » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:10 am

Michal,
FYI
When transferring TheGrail license, there is a $100 transfer fee. Check out the link below:

https://www.thegrailsystem.com/grail-tr ... -order.htm

Regards,
Tom Keough
Last edited by TomKeough on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:35 am

I think at the time I will switch to NeoTicker or MetaTrader4, I'll stop using Tradestation altogether so my GGO only license (no GWFO) will be useless for me, too.

I guess if anybody is interested in GGO only license, I may offer this one for sale, too. I will definitely contact Wouter before transeferring the license, though.

If you're interested, PM me.

Have a nice day!
Michal

traxino

Postby traxino » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi,

no reason to feel bad, because GGO is no longer available.
Switch over to Trade Smart, here is the link:

info@tsresearchgroup.com

Compared with the Grail GO the TSGO is even more powerful
and more flexible to use. I work with this software for some months now
and think it´s great.

Regards

traxino

Postby traxino » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi Michal,

I´m using TSGO. Could you give me some tips how to build a
consistantly profitable system?!

Regards

Peter

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:19 pm

traxino wrote:Hi Michal,

I´m using TSGO. Could you give me some tips how to build a
consistantly profitable system?!

Regards

Peter

I'm trading consistently profitable systems for my clients. How to build one? It takes blood, sweat and toil :)

Now seriously: there are many ways to build a consistently profitable trading system. Yet the most frequent trouble most traders run into is that one has to go step by step. It's futile to think you read the first book on trading systems and you automagically become a trading system development guru. The issue is quite complex.

Michal

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:25 pm

Good points Michal.

My suggestion for anyone posing this question is to ask themselves what "profitable" really means. Many traders scoff at systems that trade less frequently but this is actually the best place to start. For example I have several excellent systems that trade Forex that only issue about 10 trades per month - however, they are extremely simple (a few lines of core code) and they are indeed profitable (although they can experience fairly modest drawdowns).

On the other hand I have several daytrading systems that trade the ER2 and ES. These systems are also fairly simple, however, they either have to be reoptimized (intelligently) at fairly frequent intervals, or they decay. The smaller the time frame and the more frequently the system trades, the faster it will become obsolete. You are fighting commissions and slippage that threaten to eat your meager profits and attempting to fend off thousands of other hungry (and very intelligent) traders who want to have your profits for breakfast.

So which trader do you wish to be?
Eudaimonia (pron.: you-die-moan-e-a) (Greek: εὐδαιμονία) is a classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness'. The less subjective "human flourishing" is often preferred as a translation.

Return to “genetic optimization”