BONZ. Using technical indicators to trade.

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

aliassmith

Re: BONZ. Using MA to trade.

Postby aliassmith » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:59 pm

IgazI wrote:
aliassmith wrote:
Don_xyZ wrote:I'm checking my chart and apparently Bitcoin and the gang fell so hard. That's a lot of wealth wiped out. I pity those who came in late especially the old ones.

I daytraded bitcoin but never would I buy and hold. Last time I used it it wasn't practical for making purchases.

I was very close to picking the tops of Doge and Shiba. I advised people to take their money and run but apparently it is going to make them a millionaire. Most of them lost money and some made a few dollars.

Those alt coins, crypto, non fungable tokens, virtual money, all seem like fake schemes to con people out of money.

I'll stick to fiat, futures, and equities markes. At least they are the devil I know.

I sold my BTC the day before they sank the ship:
the first box of the new day that is the same color as the highest box:

I agree that buying and holding dips is a bad strategy. . .
sometimes you just want it all to run on autopilot, but it seems that there is no reward without getting your hands dirty.
BTCUSD H3:
daily_Ranges.png

By selling at that level, did you make a profit?

When I did my own calculations based on available coins and amount of money in these "assets" more like schemes they seem like high probability that they were overbought. It is difficult to compensate for mania though. In an environment where anyone that owns a crypto thinks its going to the moon because someone said so adds a wildcard variable.

You can see the point in these charts when the pyramid scheme runs dry. The guys at the top got their money and then they ran out of suckers right when it seems like it gained momentum. Was there opportunity to make a lot of money? You bet there was, but you had to be real lucky or know a little bit of something.
Trade Your Way as Long as It Makes Money!

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:51 pm

Don_xyZ wrote:EURUSDM1 bonz.png
GBPUSDM1 bonz.png

The thing with letting it go completely on autopilot is... you can't control certain things that require brain judgment. The amount of casualties in both examples is quite heavy. Trend-following strategy tends to work better during trending moments and it can't react fast enough to quick momentum shift. Also, I am not capable to code my fractal into EA lolz So maybe turning this thing into an indicator is a much better option like Alias said because then, I will have much more control over the trade decision.

I have the EMA at 50 median then used S/D with zlines. A deadhorse variant.
SL on M1 is 2 pips and entries need to be precise.
2 pips can = 1% or less (FTMO has min. trading days of 10 and MFF has 5 days min. so 1% might be too much.)
Target is 5R or 10 pips which seems reasonable based on small timeframes

note: if you do this on 5ers bootcamp you will probably want to use max size which is 1% = 11 pips on EURUSD and 13 pips GBPUSD
Attachments
GBPUSDM106032022.png
GBPUSDM106032022.png (51.27 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Trade Your Way as Long as It Makes Money!

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 am

aliassmith wrote:
IgazI wrote:
aliassmith wrote:
I daytraded bitcoin but never would I buy and hold. Last time I used it it wasn't practical for making purchases.

I was very close to picking the tops of Doge and Shiba. I advised people to take their money and run but apparently it is going to make them a millionaire. Most of them lost money and some made a few dollars.

Those alt coins, crypto, non fungable tokens, virtual money, all seem like fake schemes to con people out of money.

I'll stick to fiat, futures, and equities markes. At least they are the devil I know.

I sold my BTC the day before they sank the ship:
the first box of the new day that is the same color as the highest box:

I agree that buying and holding dips is a bad strategy. . .
sometimes you just want it all to run on autopilot, but it seems that there is no reward without getting your hands dirty.
BTCUSD H3:
daily_Ranges.png

By selling at that level, did you make a profit?

When I did my own calculations based on available coins and amount of money in these "assets" more like schemes they seem like high probability that they were overbought. It is difficult to compensate for mania though. In an environment where anyone that owns a crypto thinks its going to the moon because someone said so adds a wildcard variable.

You can see the point in these charts when the pyramid scheme runs dry. The guys at the top got their money and then they ran out of suckers right when it seems like it gained momentum. Was there opportunity to make a lot of money? You bet there was, but you had to be real lucky or know a little bit of something.

I accumulated from 28K to 30 and sold around 31.5; but I was using Cash App so the fees were astronomical XD

I do like Cash App for trading fractional shares as they have both buy stop and limit orders, and your money is instantly available after selling your stocks; none of that 'wait two days' BS! I sold my Tesla shares for a 5.09% profit and it was like trading bitcoin, only without the fees :)

From all of the upturned noses I get, whenever I mention fractional shares, I don't think very many people understand how compound returns work :)

There are obvious cons to using Cash App, instead of something like Lightspeed, but if we ignore all the day trading features then the biggest cons are the 'pattern day trade' and 'only market hours' rules.

I was never really into stocks, but they're growing on me.

Don_xyZ

Postby Don_xyZ » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:36 am

aliassmith wrote:
Don_xyZ wrote:For this strategy to work, you need filters to weed out sideways market and select only grade A trades.
We don’t need a market that is still trying to shift from buy to sell or sell to buy.
We only need a clearly defined trending market.
The strategy must allow us to enter as soon as possible with reasonable risk.
Also, breakout of the MAHL is not the only option to enter a trade.
This is a completely mechanical trading system so there must be no discretion when it comes to entry, take profit and exit.
They must be well defined.
A traditional use of MA can’t achieve this without the help of additonal technique (price action or market reading).
I want the MAs to be able to detect the market shift ASAP.

Once you add price action or market reading you will need to convert that into algo. The biggest issue is we don't understand how much discretionary items we look at in the process so its harder to get the algo to do what you see.

I had the privilege to work with a "Quant" and he demonstrated how the computer interprets things we think are simple. Except it takes a lot of code to catch exceptions. Also as we adjust for efficacy it could make the algo perform worse as it is forward tested.

That's my problem. I'm an amateur coder with very basic understanding on coding so I couldn't do complicated stuff. Even if I know how to do it I still won't do it coz my WIL is very long, just imagine how long the code would be rofl

As for this specific strategy, BONZ, I still couldn't nail it yet. Something's missing but I couldn't quite figure it out yet.
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

Don_xyZ

Postby Don_xyZ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:50 pm

I was digging up my WIL for breakout stuff and found this interesting potential new play using Stochastics. Well, I used to put and use it differently but now that I have more knowledge I see this chart differently. I quickly tried comparing it to MA and found that the price react better to Stochastics. I'm gonna try to find more potential in this thing. For now, I only have the usual play OBOS, momentum play, and also divergence/hidden divergence play listed on my WIL.

EURUSDM5 while digging up my WIL.png
EURUSDM5 while digging up my WIL.png (53.4 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

Enjoy your weekend!
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

Don_xyZ

Re: BONZ. Using MA to trade (and other stuff too).

Postby Don_xyZ » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:50 am

Okay, I've solved this problem and able to simplify this method to just using 1 MA. Nothing fancy on the chart and it's much friendly to everyone. I never knew it could be done like this. The beauty of these charts is in the eyes of the beholder. The trained eyes.

EURUSDM5 look again.png
EURUSDM5 look again.png (57.42 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 2.png
EURUSDM5 look again 2.png (76.8 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 3.png
EURUSDM5 look again 3.png (67.21 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 4.png
EURUSDM5 look again 4.png (73.89 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 5.png
EURUSDM5 look again 5.png (84.66 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 6.png
EURUSDM5 look again 6.png (64.38 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

EURUSDM5 look again 7.png
EURUSDM5 look again 7.png (67.32 KiB) Viewed 3414 times

The theme for these charts is "FAKE IT!" Can you figure it out?

Let's dance!

The song is upbeat, the dance is good, but the lyrics is talking about lying. Same thing with the charts above.
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

Don_xyZ

Postby Don_xyZ » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:37 am

Revisiting old ideas while having new knowledge is indeed beneficial. I want to encourage all of you to revisit stuff that you learned before that didn't work and maybe this time you'll see something. This is amazing. I previously thought I will have no use of indicators anymore but here I am re-exploring the old default indicator that I used almost 2 decades ago and it has great potential. Traditionally, I would just look at over bought / over sold areas or maybe some divergence / hidden divergence stuff but this time the chart is screaming in a different tone. More powerful than ever. Now I'm looking at the relationship, time and momentum that the chart is trying to depict and boy it's awesome!

Maybe I should turn it into an EA and see whether this time it could really generate awesome results.

EURUSDM5 you make me move.png
EURUSDM5 you make me move.png (43.12 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

EURUSDM5 you make me move 2.png
EURUSDM5 you make me move 2.png (51.5 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

EURUSDM5 you make me move 3.png
EURUSDM5 you make me move 3.png (50.39 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

EURUSDM5 you make me move 4.png
EURUSDM5 you make me move 4.png (55.32 KiB) Viewed 3412 times

I see the potential to turn it into a quick scalping EA but it can also be turned into something else and give it to my wife as her birthday present :lol:
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

Don_xyZ

Postby Don_xyZ » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 pm

Revisiting old ideas AO.png
Revisiting old ideas AO.png (93.4 KiB) Viewed 3371 times

AWESOME OSCILLATOR

This one also looks good. Tried this one back then but couldn't really use it successfully but now it's a different story. Some kind of technical difficulties on my side I guess.

Didn't know digging up WIL books would be this fun.
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:55 pm

Don_xyZ wrote:Revisiting old ideas while having new knowledge is indeed beneficial. I want to encourage all of you to revisit stuff that you learned before that didn't work and maybe this time you'll see something. This is amazing. I previously thought I will have no use of indicators anymore but here I am re-exploring the old default indicator that I used almost 2 decades ago and it has great potential. Traditionally, I would just look at over bought / over sold areas or maybe some divergence / hidden divergence stuff but this time the chart is screaming in a different tone. More powerful than ever. Now I'm looking at the relationship, time and momentum that the chart is trying to depict and boy it's awesome!

Maybe I should turn it into an EA and see whether this time it could really generate awesome results.

I see the potential to turn it into a quick scalping EA but it can also be turned into something else and give it to my wife as her birthday present :lol:

Oscillators are like glasses in that they bring into focus what you think that you are seeing :)
"Everything Should Be Made As Simple As Possible, But Not Simpler!"

Don_xyZ

Re: BONZ. Using technical indicators to trade.

Postby Don_xyZ » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 am

Some of these are common but the others are not.

How to use oscillator.png
How to use oscillator.png (50.43 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

1-5 are the most common.
1 is Overbought/ oversold method
2 is Momentum method
3 power balance shift method
4 is hidden divergence method
5 is divergence method

How to use oscillator 2.png
How to use oscillator 2.png (45.9 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

How to use oscillator 3.png
How to use oscillator 3.png (82.02 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

6 to 9 are advanced stuff. 2 & 8 are different. 7-9 are my own stuff. There are more plays in my book but I'm too lazy to post them all lolz
My threads

Patterns Observation
post148989#p148989

BONZ
post151670#p151670

MENTAL FORTIFICATION
post168148#p168148

Return to “beginners forum”