ZLINES...

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

PTG

Re: ZLINES...

Postby PTG » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm

arkan1976 wrote:trade 1 .-
sema 1, now yellow arrow, 1h blue, 4h red, rat entry

trade 2.-
sema 1, now yellow arrow,1h red, 4h red (my mistake...), rat entry and add when 4h change to blue

trade3.-
sema 1, now yellow arrow,1h red, 4h red agggggg, rat entry

total -24 pips

On days where there is considerable news and especially NFP, it is better to stay out of the market because there is less volume and you will see price going sideways a lot. Also, because of the lack of volume, you will see a lot of candles with wicks.
There's no business like [strike]show[/strike] covid19 business.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

Mira

Postby Mira » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm

PTG wrote:
PTG wrote:
arkan1976 wrote:
sorry PTG dont understand this "You should log all your trades; there are specific trading spreadsheets both online and offline that you can use for that."

https://chartyourtrade.com/the-importance-of-using-a-trading-journal/
http://www.dummies.com/personal-finance/investing/day-trading/how-to-keep-track-of-your-day-trading-gains-and-losses/

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=online+trading+spreadsheets&t=hb&ia=web

PTG what to you think about MyFxBook?
I was looking for an automatic way to keep a trading journal!

__________ THE :smt096 IS A LIE__________

LeMercenaire

Postby LeMercenaire » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:14 pm

The problem with automatic logs, is that all they show is in, out, result. A true trading journal (for me) needs notes logging your thought process at the time you made the trade and re the result.

Mira

Postby Mira » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

LeMercenaire wrote:
Mira wrote:

The problem with automatic logs, is that all they show is in, out, result. A true trading journal (for me) needs notes logging your thought process at the time you made the trade and re the result.

Thanks LeM!

Thus it’s better to make a screenshot and write down the details of that trade.. but how do you keep track of your trades? Do you use a spreadsheet?

LeMercenaire

Postby LeMercenaire » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:02 am

Mira wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:
Mira wrote:

Thanks LeM!

Thus it’s better to make a screenshot and write down the details of that trade.. but how do you keep track of your trades? Do you use a spreadsheet?

No, I use large format diaries and keep as much detail as I can as the day goes on, then at the end of the day, I pull it all together in a summary.

I keep screenshots meticulously timed, dated and cross referenced with the diaries in a daily computer folder.

Mira

Postby Mira » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 am

LeMercenaire wrote:
Mira wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:The problem with automatic logs, is that all they show is in, out, result. A true trading journal (for me) needs notes logging your thought process at the time you made the trade and re the result.

Thanks LeM!

No, I use large format diaries and keep as much detail as I can as the day goes on, then at the end of the day, I pull it all together in a summary.

I keep screenshots meticulously timed, dated and cross referenced with the diaries in a daily computer folder.

It looks complex :lol:
I’m going to study something.. thanks :D

Leoheart

Postby Leoheart » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Mira wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:
Mira wrote:

Thanks LeM!

An idea:Lets concentrate on winning and not losing here. Take screenshots of 10 winning trades at entry point. Make absolutely no notes. Comeback to the pictures one week or a couple of weeks from now. If you can Visually remember how you traded the setups and how the trades took you into profit, then you a solid plan of attack. What made you successful? A restaurant does not chance its menu every single week or month or perhaps even in years.

Point of doing this? Focus. Knowledge we all have, and undoubtedly will accumulate/distribute vast amounts - but focus is the hidden & only real edge.

Mr. Hyde

Postby Mr. Hyde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm

LeMercenaire wrote:
Mira wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:The problem with automatic logs, is that all they show is in, out, result. A true trading journal (for me) needs notes logging your thought process at the time you made the trade and re the result.

Thanks LeM!

Glad to hear some vets talk about journals and logs. It seems a lot of new traders and losing traders think journals are a waste of time and to much work.

I would credit studying screenshots of my trades and especially my losers have reaped the most benefit for me. Its why I like to ask what others see when I take a losing trade cuz it opens my eyes to another point of view, whether I use that style or not.

I also love to compare my trades to others that took the same trade and see what their reasoning for it was and were they looked to add and why.

Mr. Hyde

Postby Mr. Hyde » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Leoheart wrote:
Mira wrote:

Thanks LeM!

An idea:Lets concentrate on winning and not losing here. Take screenshots of 10 winning trades at entry point. Make absolutely no notes. Comeback to the pictures one week or a couple of weeks from now. If you can Visually remember how you traded the setups and how the trades took you into profit, then you a solid plan of attack. What made you successful? A restaurant does not chance its menu every single week or month or perhaps even in years.

Point of doing this? Focus. Knowledge we all have, and undoubtedly will accumulate/distribute vast amounts - but focus is the hidden & only real edge.

A successful restaurant will not make changes to its menu very often you are correct. But a failing, unprofitable one will not only change its menu, but its whole identity and style.

The human mind is wired to remember the good and not bad. its why humans are able to overcome such horrific events. Why does a addict relapse if he knows all the bad that will happen. Because his mind remembers all the good times and minimizes the bad. Why do dieters fail at their diets. Because they remember that they ate 3 healthy meals throughout the day, but ignore the couple slices of bacon they stole from someone. the handful of candy they had at work and the ranch on their salad, because hey it was a salad.

Why do losing traders continue to lose. Because they focus on the 1 trade they called at the top and exited at the bottom. But then they had a bunch of losers and those were big losses and not small ones. You see it in the journals all the time. Member so and so have 40 wins in a row, but then takes a few losses, so then he widens his stops and takes even bigger losses and then even puts on trades that aren't even apart of his trade plan (assuming he even has one) and then he has lost all of his profits and then some.

I'm all for studying winning trades, but if traders spent the same amount of time studying losses and seeing 1) if they could have done something different, 2) making sure that the loss was an acceptable loss (meaning it was part of a trading plan). Then there would be a lot more profitable traders I believe.

I'm curious. All the unprofitable traders that are reading this, do you have a written out trading plan?

Leoheart

Postby Leoheart » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Mr. Hyde wrote:
Leoheart wrote:
Mira wrote:
Thanks LeM!

A successful restaurant will not make changes to its menu very often you are correct. But a failing, unprofitable one will not only change its menu, but its whole identity and style.

The human mind is wired to remember the good and not bad. its why humans are able to overcome such horrific events. Why does a addict relapse if he knows all the bad that will happen. Because his mind remembers all the good times and minimizes the bad. Why do dieters fail at their diets. Because they remember that they ate 3 healthy meals throughout the day, but ignore the couple slices of bacon they stole from someone. the handful of candy they had at work and the ranch on their salad, because hey it was a salad.

Why do losing traders continue to lose. Because they focus on the 1 trade they called at the top and exited at the bottom. But then they had a bunch of losers and those were big losses and not small ones. You see it in the journals all the time. Member so and so have 40 wins in a row, but then takes a few losses, so then he widens his stops and takes even bigger losses and then even puts on trades that aren't even apart of his trade plan (assuming he even has one) and then he has lost all of his profits and then some.

I'm all for studying winning trades, but if traders spent the same amount of time studying losses and seeing 1) if they could have done something different, 2) making sure that the loss was an acceptable loss (meaning it was part of a trading plan). Then there would be a lot more profitable traders I believe.

I'm curious. All the unprofitable traders that are reading this, do you have a written out trading plan?

If we are talking about the human psyche (which it looks like we are), what we focus most will become our reality. That is exactly what most folks do, focus away too much on what they are not getting right even after trading for 10+ years. They start changing systems etc... you get the point. We repeatedly hear this from day 1 in 1st first grade for even kinder-garden & throughout our whole lives. "You are wrong, fix this or that you'll be "golden". No Damn it, first show me what I did right, Then if needed correct my mistakes.

To reiterate, Suggested mindset: First find something that actually works for you over a sample set (obvious right, only winning is the focus and the plan). Secret sauce: Visually recreate what you did right from a week or two week ago from your screenshots. Can you visually see what you did right? This will mold your brain in only focusing on the truth ( only your truth), so there is no need switch systems and kick your dog for all those losing tradings.

Return to “beginners forum”