To automate or not to automate?

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

khalid

Postby khalid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:16 am

Peter and Michal,

This is marvelous. You two have clearly established to automate is worth the effort.

When the provision 'if done correctly' is not deemed necessary when people suggest the pursuit of discretionary trading, this condition should not be coupled to automated trading either.

People marvel that great discretionary traders can trade profitably on price alone. If a great discretionary trader can trade profitably on price alone, why can't a great automater teach a dumb computer to trade profitable on price alone?

Limiting oneself is perhaps the biggest reason why so many people fail to achieve the desired results.

Khalid

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

greaterreturn

Great thread!

Postby greaterreturn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:46 pm

Folks,

Awesome thread and site. I have followed most of the advice in this thread successfully. Built my own code. I'm at the final stages now.

Can someone help with one issue? I need historical and real time economic calendar for Forex markets. Where's the best (free) source?

My strategy now has Sortino score of 3.03 and Sharpe of 3.30. It has 97% winning trades out of 683 over a 5 year period using tick data.

And the 3% losing trades all occur on wild volatility between 8:00 am and 12:00 am on certain days. I'm certain those are economic reports.

So I'd like to get the history going back to 2003 to make sure they coincide with report AND figure out which specific reports create that volatility.

Then I need a real-time forex economic calendar data feed to make sure it avoids trading those days going forward.

I have added in a handful manually (guessing from volatility) and it greatly improves the system profitability which currently runs at 26% per year without reinvesting profits.

Please advise.

Sincerely,
Wayne

khalid

Postby khalid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:30 am

Wayne,

Please find US Economic Calendar here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/ecalendar/index.html

This covers only the US data releases and goes back to 2 January 2006. This should give you a start until you find another source.

Khalid

greaterreturn

Postby greaterreturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks Khalid.

FYI, and for anyone else, forexfactory.com has the entire Forex calendar history back to January 2007. I just got the idea to contact them to see if they know where to get more history. For a small fee I would pay to get it going back many years.

Wayne

khalid

Postby khalid » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:37 pm

You are very welcome, Wayne.

I am glad you have located a more appripriate source.

Khalid

greaterreturn

Postby greaterreturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm

Khalid,

Thanks again. However, I actually found an algorithm to make the strategy profitable even during high volatility periods. Now my Sortino and Sharpe are of 4.0 and win ration at 99%. Seems unbelievable. But I suppose, tenacity is 90% of success at anything.

Wayne

khalid

GREAT WORK

Postby khalid » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:14 am

Wayne,

To those who say there is no Holy Grail, I always say: you have not tried hard enough.

Honestly, if the Grail can be within oneself it must follow with sufficient effort and proper application one should be able to manifest it by developing a (software, or whatever) tool.

Khalid

BlackMage

Postby BlackMage » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:57 am

Briefing.com has US Economic Calendar that goes as far back as 1996:

http://www.briefing.com/GeneralContent/ ... ageId=3229

You can make a web crawler to gather the information.
Financial Hacker

forexjake80

Postby forexjake80 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Michal,

you talked about true freedom having an ea running on a remote server. Thank you for sharing my Goal. I was wondering, what are your thoughts concerning having the company running the remote server for you stealing the program? I dont wanna run it at home either, for the obvious reasons.

jakehunter

Postby jakehunter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 pm

If you are looking for a good hint about forex trading here you can find some. For the years of trading I've collected a lot of information on forex. I'm a pro trader now, but I know how it is to be a newbie. While I was learning all about forex, some automatic systems helped me to understand some basic rules of this subj. So, you can use some of my experience and just try it. If it will not work for you, you can decline it anytime, but I'm assure you - it is worth! Saving your time on searching, I've collected some useful info down[url=http://ritalasker.com/free.htm]here[/url]

Return to “beginners forum”