What are the Market Makers thinking?

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

User avatar
newschool
rank: 150+ posts
rank: 150+ posts
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby newschool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 pm

I guess its just a preference hehe

do you trade stocks?

I forgot to say something... I trade mining stocks (pennies) ... perhaps thats why I think its more important... because theres no room for movement. And in FX, we would agree that movement isn't a stranger...

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
es/pip
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 2898
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0
Gender: None specified

Postby es/pip » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:11 pm

newschool wrote:I guess its just a preference hehe

do you trade stocks?

I forgot to say something... I trade mining stocks (pennies) ... perhaps thats why I think its more important... because theres no room for movement. And in FX, we would agree that movement isn't a stranger...



i scalped stocks around 10 years ago---- haven't traded them since

the way i see it is --- it moves between s/r to and from--- and then s can become r and vice vrsa

thats the good thing about the market---- there is no right or wrong way to trade it----
Bend over and assume the position for another 4 years of hope and change.

User avatar
newschool
rank: 150+ posts
rank: 150+ posts
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby newschool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:33 pm

es/pip wrote:the way i see it is --- it moves between s/r to and from--- and then s can become r and vice vrsa


yes thats the definition of s&r.

My point was that in smaller TF, there is much more s&r created because of the high movement in Forex, wich we cannot find in small stocks

thus you can be wrong many times

theres also the fact that part of the s&r definition is an accumulation of "Volume by Price" wich is ambiguous in forex because volume is in ticks not in lots (shares)

User avatar
es/pip
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 2898
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0
Gender: None specified

Postby es/pip » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:42 pm

newschool wrote:
es/pip wrote:the way i see it is --- it moves between s/r to and from--- and then s can become r and vice vrsa


yes thats the definition of s&r.

My point was that in smaller TF, there is much more s&r created because of the high movement in Forex, wich we cannot find in small stocks

thus you can be wrong many times

theres also the fact that part of the s&r definition is an accumulation of "Volume by Price" wich is ambiguous in forex because volume is in ticks not in lots (shares)



but if s/r is true over any time frame --- which it is in my mind---- then it is trade-able no matter if you are looking at m5 chart or a daily

the more it moves the more s/r that is created= more opportunity
Bend over and assume the position for another 4 years of hope and change.

User avatar
newark18
rank: 500+ posts
rank: 500+ posts
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:32 am
Reputation: 0
Real name: James
Gender: Male

Postby newark18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm

1. Who are the pros?
2. How important is volume in trying to discern what the pros are doing? i figure that only momentum with good volume is an indication of what the pros might be doing.
Failure is an opportunity to learn.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
newschool
rank: 150+ posts
rank: 150+ posts
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby newschool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:56 pm

es/pip wrote:but if s/r is true over any time frame --- which it is in my mind---- then it is trade-able no matter if you are looking at m5 chart or a daily

the more it moves the more s/r that is created= more opportunity


thats where our opinions differ

for me a true s&r is related to a fundamental aspect, a "feeling" the investors think price is not worth , or is at least worth. Thats why I believe there should only be few s&r, and by the nature of forex, there are many...

still maybe you are totally right, but you know for now I don't base my trades on s&r in forex. you probably look out for a conjuction too , with MZ for example.

User avatar
es/pip
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 2898
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0
Gender: None specified

Postby es/pip » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:12 pm

newschool wrote:
es/pip wrote:but if s/r is true over any time frame --- which it is in my mind---- then it is trade-able no matter if you are looking at m5 chart or a daily

the more it moves the more s/r that is created= more opportunity


thats where our opinions differ

for me a true s&r is related to a fundamental aspect, a "feeling" the investors think price is not worth , or is at least worth. Thats why I believe there should only be few s&r, and by the nature of forex, there are many...

still maybe you are totally right, but you know for now I don't base my trades on s&r in forex. you probably look out for a conjuction too , with MZ for example.



not a matter of who is right and who is wrong-----

i just cant see fundamentals = to true s/r points

take this for example

did the fact that it stopped right there and reversed have anything to do with the fundamentals of that country's status?

but when you say-- " a "feeling" the investors think price is not worth , or is at least worth"--- that is what i see happening at all the different s/r points-- based on nothing more than just what has happened in the past via PA.

Image
Bend over and assume the position for another 4 years of hope and change.

User avatar
newschool
rank: 150+ posts
rank: 150+ posts
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby newschool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm

thats a gap being closed, its a different situation ;)

you quoted exactly what I said, that in that M5 chart, I dont believe the s&r are important

well if I think about it, we can have 2 definitions :

- a s&r in its purest form is a level where price bounces

- and theres also a fundamental s&r , wich is linked to the value of the asset. if you pay 5$ for a burger, you wont pay more unless it tastes really better, if theres a real difference. in that case we have a fundamental resistance...
Last edited by newschool on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
es/pip
rank: 1000+ posts
rank: 1000+ posts
Posts: 2898
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Reputation: 0
Gender: None specified

Postby es/pip » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 pm

newark18 wrote:1. Who are the pros?
2. How important is volume in trying to discern what the pros are doing? i figure that only momentum with good volume is an indication of what the pros might be doing.



1. the guys with all the money moving the market to the places they want it at

2. volume has its place---- i dont use it though
Bend over and assume the position for another 4 years of hope and change.

User avatar
newschool
rank: 150+ posts
rank: 150+ posts
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:26 am
Reputation: 0
Gender: Male

Postby newschool » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 pm

es/pip wrote:
2. volume has its place---- i dont use it though


ahah another difference, I always liked volume heheh

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.


Return to “beginners forum”