Bullish Percent Index

If you don't know where to start, start here! Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Moderator: moderators

Rhae

Bullish Percent Index

Postby Rhae » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:49 am

I'm looking for a BPI (Bullish Percent Index) indicator for Tradestation. I'm not an experienced coder - so any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I found information on this index and how it's used at the following links:
http://www.stockhouse.ca/shfn/editorial.asp?edtID=19454

and a recent video:
http://www.screencast.com/users/LeavittBrothers/folders/Default/media/15da204c-f2b1-4c4f-b121-3fd0bc84c4ca

I also found the following information on StockCharts.com

Bullish Percent Index (BPI)
The Bullish Percent Index (BPI) is a popular market breadth indicator that is calculated by dividing the number of stocks in a given group (an exchange, an industry, etc.) that are currently trading with Point and Figure buy signals, by the total number of stocks in that group. Bullish Percent levels that are above 70% are considered overbought, whereas levels below 30% are considered oversold. Strong buy signals occur when the Bullish Percent Index falls below 30% and then reverses up by at least 6%. Conversely, promising sell signals occur when it goes above 70%, and then reverses down by at least 6%.

It is important to note that the Bullish Percent Index is not something that can be applied to a single stock but rather an index that is calculated for a group of stocks.

The most popular version of this chart is the NYSE Bullish Percent ($BPNYA) which is mentioned prominently in Thomas Dorsey's book, Point & Figure Charting, however it is important to remember that the Bullish Percent index can be calculated for any grouping of stocks.

Because the NYSE's Bullish Percent Index is so closely followed, each day we also publish the list of NYSE stocks with P&F buy signals as well as the list of all stocks in the current NYSE "universe". Those lists can be found on our NYSE BPI Components page.

Traditionally, the Bullish Percent indicator is charted on a Point and Figure chart (example) using a 2 point box size. However, the indicator can also be charted and studied using standard charts (example) as well.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

jstockman

Re: Bullish Percent Index

Postby jstockman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:29 pm

Rhae wrote:I'm looking for a BPI (Bullish Percent Index) indicator for Tradestation. I'm not an experienced coder - so any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I found information on this index and how it's used at the following links:
http://www.stockhouse.ca/shfn/editorial.asp?edtID=19454

and a recent video:
http://www.screencast.com/users/LeavittBrothers/folders/Default/media/15da204c-f2b1-4c4f-b121-3fd0bc84c4ca

I also found the following information on StockCharts.com

Bullish Percent Index (BPI)

Rhae,

It might be easier to get it manaully from Dorsey Wright or Stockcharts.com

jstockman
The Bullish Percent Index (BPI) is a popular market breadth indicator that is calculated by dividing the number of stocks in a given group (an exchange, an industry, etc.) that are currently trading with Point and Figure buy signals, by the total number of stocks in that group. Bullish Percent levels that are above 70% are considered overbought, whereas levels below 30% are considered oversold. Strong buy signals occur when the Bullish Percent Index falls below 30% and then reverses up by at least 6%. Conversely, promising sell signals occur when it goes above 70%, and then reverses down by at least 6%.

It is important to note that the Bullish Percent Index is not something that can be applied to a single stock but rather an index that is calculated for a group of stocks.

The most popular version of this chart is the NYSE Bullish Percent ($BPNYA) which is mentioned prominently in Thomas Dorsey's book, Point & Figure Charting, however it is important to remember that the Bullish Percent index can be calculated for any grouping of stocks.

Because the NYSE's Bullish Percent Index is so closely followed, each day we also publish the list of NYSE stocks with P&F buy signals as well as the list of all stocks in the current NYSE "universe". Those lists can be found on our NYSE BPI Components page.

Traditionally, the Bullish Percent indicator is charted on a Point and Figure chart (example) using a 2 point box size. However, the indicator can also be charted and studied using standard charts (example) as well.

jstockman

Postby jstockman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Rahe,

Its a huge calc. It is desinged to show risk in the market.

It might be best to get it free from Stockchart.com (BPNYSE) or you can get it at DorseyWright.com

jstockman

Rhae

Postby Rhae » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:25 am

Thank you jstockman - I've been out of town and not checking the posts - my apologies for not responding earlier.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

Return to “beginners forum”