ProchargedMopar's Trading Trilogy

free & uncensored discussion arena for TheRumpledOne

Moderator: moderators

User avatar
prochargedmopar
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: Granbury, TX
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby prochargedmopar » Mon May 11, 2009 6:25 am

New Goal.
Break Even on all accounts combined.

MBTrading - +/- 0.0 Bal. $800.00
FXCM +$144.97 Bal. $994.47
FXDD -$525.30 Bal. 824.70
Total to B/E -$380.33

New technique will be applied.
Still risking 5% overall with a 20 pip stop but I will apply M.O.'s description of scaling in.
1/3 at a time instead of the 1/5.

I will be using a $2.40 full postition tomorrow so I will break it down to .80 each. When calculating Total pips gained I will have to divide by 3.
Example: 3 entries (if trigger finger doesn't freeze over, LOL) would be 60 pips with an actual 20 pip full postition gain compared to if I were to go All in at once.
If all three were to hit stops I would show -60 pips but actually be -20 compared to an all in postition.

Hopefully I'll judge better how things are going and won't miss out on to many pips. Losses will be less painful and I may even stack a couple extra on if things are going really well.
Be interesting.

For some reason I'm having psychological issues with this and I think it comes from greed/fear of missing out. Looking at it realistically I should be feeling MORE comfortable because I'm putting less on the line at first entry.
Not sure what's going on upstairs.

It'll be Me, My Mirror, and the Market.
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
prochargedmopar
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: Granbury, TX
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby prochargedmopar » Mon May 11, 2009 1:50 pm

4/11/09
+22.13 pips +5.46% account in 55 min of trading.

It shows 66.4 but those were 1/3 scale in trades.

6 trades total. On 2 trades I only went in 1 position and bailed as price did not act right.
I tried to take all trades at a line but some of the scale-ins price was moving to quickly.

-$380.33 + 54.34 = -325.99 untill B/E on all accounts.

Trades:
10902326 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.509 132.482 2.7 2.22 0.00 5/11/2009 09:11 5/11/2009 09:11
10902322 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.513 132.482 3.1 2.54 0.00 5/11/2009 09:11 5/11/2009 09:11
10901933 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.567 132.570 -0.3 -0.25 0.00 5/11/2009 09:05 5/11/2009 09:06
10901919 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.589 132.570 1.9 1.56 0.00 5/11/2009 09:05 5/11/2009 09:06
10901719 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.680 132.683 -0.3 -0.25 0.00 5/11/2009 09:00 5/11/2009 09:01
10901575 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.704 132.683 2.1 1.72 0.00 5/11/2009 09:00 5/11/2009 09:01
10901213 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.753 132.740 1.3 1.06 0.00 5/11/2009 08:54 5/11/2009 08:54
10899865 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.608 132.585 2.3 1.88 0.00 5/11/2009 08:29 5/11/2009 08:36
10899923 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.596 132.585 1.1 0.90 0.00 5/11/2009 08:30 5/11/2009 08:36
10900060 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.633 132.585 4.8 3.93 0.00 5/11/2009 08:35 5/11/2009 08:36
10899672 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.666 132.645 2.1 1.72 0.00 5/11/2009 08:27 5/11/2009 08:27
10898770 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.808 132.650 15.8 12.93 0.00 5/11/2009 08:14 5/11/2009 08:18
10898797 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.803 132.650 15.3 12.52 0.00 5/11/2009 08:15 5/11/2009 08:18
10898814 EUR/JPY 8 S 132.795 132.650 14.5 11.86 0.00 5/11/2009 08:16 5/11/2009 08:18
Total 112 66.4 54.34
Last edited by prochargedmopar on Tue May 12, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

User avatar
razorboy
rank: 500+ posts
rank: 500+ posts
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:06 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Toronto
Gender: None specified
Contact:

Postby razorboy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 pm

As far as scaling in goes, I have been using the horizontal lines as well - using the psych lines that are above and below the current price
-
In a situation where I want to go short,

Typically my first entry is a limit entry at a psych line with a 15 pip SL and my second is is a market with a 40 pip stop loss - total SL on the position is 55/2 = 27.5 pips, which I gradually reduce as price moves my way - meaning I start to see some good profit on my second position - usually by the time my second position is up to 25 points in profit, the SL on my first position would lock in 25 pips of profit and the SL on the second position would be moved to -25 from -42

If price hits my limit order (but not my market) and reverses, I will open up my SL to the 42 and enter a sell limit order with a 17 pip SL at the next higher psych line.

If price hits both my limit and market order and reverses - I kill the whole thing at the -27.5 - the worst damage I can do to my self. Given the dynamics of the market, I don't see how I can keep my initial risk below this level

I know that MO often preaches about putting on 3 units from the start and then gradual exiting with profit - then using the profit to build your SL, but I found I kept stopping out on the initial 3 units

I have found spreading things out like this typically gives me two shots to enter a trade, except where things go 100% wrong

prochargedmopar wrote:New Goal.
Break Even on all accounts combined.

MBTrading - +/- 0.0 Bal. $800.00
FXCM +$144.97 Bal. $994.47
FXDD -$525.30 Bal. 824.70
Total to B/E -$380.33

New technique will be applied.
Still risking 5% overall with a 20 pip stop but I will apply M.O.'s description of scaling in.
1/3 at a time instead of the 1/5.

I will be using a $2.40 full postition tomorrow so I will break it down to .80 each. When calculating Total pips gained I will have to divide by 3.
Example: 3 entries (if trigger finger doesn't freeze over, LOL) would be 60 pips with an actual 20 pip full postition gain compared to if I were to go All in at once.
If all three were to hit stops I would show -60 pips but actually be -20 compared to an all in postition.

Hopefully I'll judge better how things are going and won't miss out on to many pips. Losses will be less painful and I may even stack a couple extra on if things are going really well.
Be interesting.

For some reason I'm having psychological issues with this and I think it comes from greed/fear of missing out. Looking at it realistically I should be feeling MORE comfortable because I'm putting less on the line at first entry.
Not sure what's going on upstairs.

It'll be Me, My Mirror, and the Market.
Ya, I manufacture clear shoe boxes.....http://www.clear-shoe-boxes.com.............who would have thunk!

http://thejoshkerbelproject.com/

User avatar
prochargedmopar
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: Granbury, TX
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby prochargedmopar » Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks razor for the insight.
Good info.
I'm going to try this (power of 3's) for a while as I'm not used to scaling in. I'll get more elaborate as time goes on.

One thing I noticed today is that I got the feeling I wanted to up the value of the entries. Banking all those pips so quickly I was thinking man that would have been nice to have full positions and upped the account 15%.
Greedy will keep you needy as the saying goes eh. LOL
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

User avatar
TheRumpledOne
rank: 10000+ posts
rank: 10000+ posts
Posts: 11396
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:31 pm
Reputation: 45
Location: Oregon
Real name: Avery T. Horton, Jr.
Gender: None specified
Contact:

Postby TheRumpledOne » Tue May 12, 2009 4:32 am

Hey Pro:

Remember the 2 trade per hour rule?

You broke it!

You know what that means, don't you?
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

User avatar
prochargedmopar
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: Granbury, TX
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby prochargedmopar » Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I broke it. What now?

I'm not sure if I like this scaling into trades, yet. I don't feel like I'm risking as much which I think made me feel a little lax when going into draw down. Also putting in feelers I was not as selective.
Makes it much harder to enter trades that are winners because I"m thinking that it's already maxed out and is about to reverse and wipe out any profit made with the 1 or 2 that are in the trade.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

More rules have complicated matters when I still can't follow the few that are in the psych line trading plan.

-50.5\3 = -16.83
Balances: -325.99 -85.62 = -411.61
-8.9%

Got to chatting with dad a broke a few more rules by going LONG against D1 and H1. I even did the dasterdly deed of moving my stop. See the 23.x stop out.
Looky here!!!!!!!!!!

-92.1\3 = -30.7 or -85.62
I fixed total balance above.
Here are the trades.

10956020 EUR/JPY 9 B 131.786 131.604 -18.2 -16.96 0.00 5/12/2009 10:08 5/12/2009 10:14
10955765 EUR/JPY 9 B 131.913 131.679 -23.4 -21.81 0.00 5/12/2009 10:06 5/12/2009 10:11
10953835 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.076 131.944 13.2 12.30 0.00 5/12/2009 09:39 5/12/2009 09:39
10953706 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.123 132.116 0.7 0.65 0.00 5/12/2009 09:37 5/12/2009 09:39
10953763 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.106 132.116 -1 -0.93 0.00 5/12/2009 09:38 5/12/2009 09:39
10953731 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.142 132.123 -1.9 -1.77 0.00 5/12/2009 09:37 5/12/2009 09:38
10953572 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.356 132.194 -16.2 -15.08 0.00 5/12/2009 09:35 5/12/2009 09:37
10953428 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.505 132.343 -16.2 -15.07 0.00 5/12/2009 09:32 5/12/2009 09:34
10953215 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.441 132.462 2.1 1.95 0.00 5/12/2009 09:31 5/12/2009 09:31
10953082 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.505 132.497 0.8 0.74 0.00 5/12/2009 09:28 5/12/2009 09:28
10952974 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.513 132.446 6.7 6.22 0.00 5/12/2009 09:26 5/12/2009 09:26
10950616 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.643 132.483 16 14.83 0.00 5/12/2009 08:51 5/12/2009 09:21
10952070 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.565 132.483 8.2 7.60 0.00 5/12/2009 09:09 5/12/2009 09:21
10950617 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.618 132.771 -15.3 -14.17 0.00 5/12/2009 08:51 5/12/2009 08:53
10950236 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.736 132.668 -6.8 -6.30 0.00 5/12/2009 08:46 5/12/2009 08:51
10950073 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.698 132.745 -4.7 -4.36 0.00 5/12/2009 08:43 5/12/2009 08:46
10950004 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.745 132.643 -10.2 -9.46 0.00 5/12/2009 08:42 5/12/2009 08:43
10949698 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.603 132.606 -0.3 -0.28 0.00 5/12/2009 08:38 5/12/2009 08:38
10948359 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.796 132.697 9.9 9.18 0.00 5/12/2009 08:21 5/12/2009 08:28
10948386 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.756 132.697 5.9 5.47 0.00 5/12/2009 08:22 5/12/2009 08:28
10947525 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.985 132.823 -16.2 -15.01 0.00 5/12/2009 08:03 5/12/2009 08:05
10947094 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.820 132.935 -11.5 -10.66 0.00 5/12/2009 07:58 5/12/2009 07:59
10946943 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.798 132.935 -13.7 -12.70 0.00 5/12/2009 07:56 5/12/2009 07:59
Total 207 -92.1 -85.62 0.00
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

User avatar
prochargedmopar
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:07 am
Reputation: 8
Location: Granbury, TX
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby prochargedmopar » Tue May 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Back again to rule # 1.
Protect your capital.
Rule # 2, see rule # 1.

Man,
Today was an emotional roller coaster. I had a big time difficulty taking the losses. The winning of late must have went to my head.
All this would have been prevented and I would have protected my "feeble" psychy by following the rules of my trading plan. These trades could have been avoided and the loss would have been MUCH smaller and may have even been nullified.
I actually said to my wife at one point when I was down 9.8 pips that I was done. Then I said it again at 16.8. Doh.

ANY NOOBS OUT THERE, listen up and learn.
I'm teaching some very serious lessons here if you really want to be a consistently winning trader.

I highly doubt that anyone can re-program what they believe inside just by reading this blog but at least they will be aware of the pitfalls and won't feel so bad when it happens to them, as it will. Maybe not specifically these exact things but every trader has had difficulties at some point.

Just another step in the stairway to freedom.

Earl Nightingale:
Throughout history, the great wise men and teachers, philosophers, and prophets have disagreed with one another on many different things. It is only on this one point that they are in complete and unanimous agreement ? the key to success and the key to failure is this:

WE BECOME WHATWE THINK ABOUT

This is The Strangest Secret! Now, why do I say it's strange, and why do I call it a secret? Actually, it isn't a secret at all. It was first promulgated by some of the earliest wise men, and it appears again and again throughout the Bible. But very few people have learned it or understand it. That's why it's strange, and why for some equally strange reason it virtually remains a secret.

Marcus Aurelius, the great Roman Emperor, said: "A man's life is what his thoughts make of it."

Disraeli said this: "Everything comes if a man will only wait ... a human being with a settled purpose must accomplish it, and nothing can resist a will that will stake even existence for its fulfillment."

William James said: "We need only in cold blood act as if the thing in question were real, and it will become infallibly real by growing into such a connection with our life that it will become real. It will become so knit with habit and emotion that our interests in it will be those which characterize belief." He continues, " ... only you must, then, really wish these things, and wish them exclusively, and not wish at the same time a hundred other incompatible things just as strongly."

My old friend Dr. Norman Vincent Peale put it this way: "If you think in negative terms, you will get negative results. If you think in positive terms, you will achieve positive results." George Bernard Shaw said: "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."

Well, it's pretty apparent, isn't it? We become what we think about. A person who is thinking about a concrete and worthwhile goal is going to reach it, because that's what he's thinking about. Conversely, the person who has no goal, who doesn't know where he's going, and whose thoughts must therefore be thoughts of confusion, anxiety, fear, and worry will thereby create a life of frustration, fear, anxiety and worry. And if he thinks about nothing ... he becomes nothing.
Last edited by prochargedmopar on Tue May 12, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

User avatar
razorboy
rank: 500+ posts
rank: 500+ posts
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:06 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Toronto
Gender: None specified
Contact:

Postby razorboy » Tue May 12, 2009 3:21 pm

The only thing you can control here is the risk. Did you move your stop tighter or did you make it loser?

Sometimes you are the window..........sometimes you are the bug

prochargedmopar wrote:I broke it. What now?

I'm not sure if I like this scaling into trades, yet. I don't feel like I'm risking as much which I think made me feel a little lax when going into draw down. Also putting in feelers I was not as selective.
Makes it much harder to enter trades that are winners because I"m thinking that it's already maxed out and is about to reverse and wipe out any profit made with the 1 or 2 that are in the trade.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

More rules have complicated matters when I still can't follow the few that are in the psych line trading plan.

-50.5\3 = -16.83
Balances: -325.99 -85.62 = -411.61
-8.9%

Got to chatting with dad a broke a few more rules by going LONG against D1 and H1. I even did the dasterdly deed of moving my stop. See the 23.x stop out.
Looky here!!!!!!!!!!

-92.1\3 = -30.7 or -85.62
I fixed total balance above.
Here are the trades.

10956020 EUR/JPY 9 B 131.786 131.604 -18.2 -16.96 0.00 5/12/2009 10:08 5/12/2009 10:14
10955765 EUR/JPY 9 B 131.913 131.679 -23.4 -21.81 0.00 5/12/2009 10:06 5/12/2009 10:11
10953835 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.076 131.944 13.2 12.30 0.00 5/12/2009 09:39 5/12/2009 09:39
10953706 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.123 132.116 0.7 0.65 0.00 5/12/2009 09:37 5/12/2009 09:39
10953763 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.106 132.116 -1 -0.93 0.00 5/12/2009 09:38 5/12/2009 09:39
10953731 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.142 132.123 -1.9 -1.77 0.00 5/12/2009 09:37 5/12/2009 09:38
10953572 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.356 132.194 -16.2 -15.08 0.00 5/12/2009 09:35 5/12/2009 09:37
10953428 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.505 132.343 -16.2 -15.07 0.00 5/12/2009 09:32 5/12/2009 09:34
10953215 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.441 132.462 2.1 1.95 0.00 5/12/2009 09:31 5/12/2009 09:31
10953082 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.505 132.497 0.8 0.74 0.00 5/12/2009 09:28 5/12/2009 09:28
10952974 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.513 132.446 6.7 6.22 0.00 5/12/2009 09:26 5/12/2009 09:26
10950616 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.643 132.483 16 14.83 0.00 5/12/2009 08:51 5/12/2009 09:21
10952070 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.565 132.483 8.2 7.60 0.00 5/12/2009 09:09 5/12/2009 09:21
10950617 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.618 132.771 -15.3 -14.17 0.00 5/12/2009 08:51 5/12/2009 08:53
10950236 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.736 132.668 -6.8 -6.30 0.00 5/12/2009 08:46 5/12/2009 08:51
10950073 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.698 132.745 -4.7 -4.36 0.00 5/12/2009 08:43 5/12/2009 08:46
10950004 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.745 132.643 -10.2 -9.46 0.00 5/12/2009 08:42 5/12/2009 08:43
10949698 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.603 132.606 -0.3 -0.28 0.00 5/12/2009 08:38 5/12/2009 08:38
10948359 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.796 132.697 9.9 9.18 0.00 5/12/2009 08:21 5/12/2009 08:28
10948386 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.756 132.697 5.9 5.47 0.00 5/12/2009 08:22 5/12/2009 08:28
10947525 EUR/JPY 9 B 132.985 132.823 -16.2 -15.01 0.00 5/12/2009 08:03 5/12/2009 08:05
10947094 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.820 132.935 -11.5 -10.66 0.00 5/12/2009 07:58 5/12/2009 07:59
10946943 EUR/JPY 9 S 132.798 132.935 -13.7 -12.70 0.00 5/12/2009 07:56 5/12/2009 07:59
Total 207 -92.1 -85.62 0.00
Ya, I manufacture clear shoe boxes.....http://www.clear-shoe-boxes.com.............who would have thunk!



http://thejoshkerbelproject.com/

User avatar
MightyOne
rank: 5000+ posts
rank: 5000+ posts
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm
Reputation: 46
Gender: Male

Postby MightyOne » Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm

"I know that MO often preaches about putting on 3 units from the start and then gradual exiting with profit - then using the profit to build your SL, but I found I kept stopping out on the initial 3 units" -Razorboy

I assume from your gravitation toward a 45 SL that you are getting stopped out often on your small stops.

It helps to understand why you are using the MM that you are using instead of playing with this or that until some thing seems to work.

When you are using a 45 SL and trading in the direction of the trend you are saying that the market did not and should not retrace 45 pips from the low when taking this short.

You are saying that a move greater than 45 pips is not a correction.

When you are using a 45 SL and trading the reversal then you are saying that the market: retraced 45 pips from the low, corrected less than 45 pips, and hit your horizontal to go long.

You are saying that a move greater than 45 pips is not a correction.

Now reread replacing the 45 SL with a 15 pip SL...

Notice how you arrive at the most powerful chart formation; the 1-2-3.




razorboy wrote:As far as scaling in goes, I have been using the horizontal lines as well - using the psych lines that are above and below the current price
-
In a situation where I want to go short,

Typically my first entry is a limit entry at a psych line with a 15 pip SL and my second is is a market with a 40 pip stop loss - total SL on the position is 55/2 = 27.5 pips, which I gradually reduce as price moves my way - meaning I start to see some good profit on my second position - usually by the time my second position is up to 25 points in profit, the SL on my first position would lock in 25 pips of profit and the SL on the second position would be moved to -25 from -42

If price hits my limit order (but not my market) and reverses, I will open up my SL to the 42 and enter a sell limit order with a 17 pip SL at the next higher psych line.

If price hits both my limit and market order and reverses - I kill the whole thing at the -27.5 - the worst damage I can do to my self. Given the dynamics of the market, I don't see how I can keep my initial risk below this level

I know that MO often preaches about putting on 3 units from the start and then gradual exiting with profit - then using the profit to build your SL, but I found I kept stopping out on the initial 3 units

I have found spreading things out like this typically gives me two shots to enter a trade, except where things go 100% wrong

prochargedmopar wrote:New Goal.
Break Even on all accounts combined.

MBTrading - +/- 0.0 Bal. $800.00
FXCM +$144.97 Bal. $994.47
FXDD -$525.30 Bal. 824.70
Total to B/E -$380.33

New technique will be applied.
Still risking 5% overall with a 20 pip stop but I will apply M.O.'s description of scaling in.
1/3 at a time instead of the 1/5.

I will be using a $2.40 full postition tomorrow so I will break it down to .80 each. When calculating Total pips gained I will have to divide by 3.
Example: 3 entries (if trigger finger doesn't freeze over, LOL) would be 60 pips with an actual 20 pip full postition gain compared to if I were to go All in at once.
If all three were to hit stops I would show -60 pips but actually be -20 compared to an all in postition.

Hopefully I'll judge better how things are going and won't miss out on to many pips. Losses will be less painful and I may even stack a couple extra on if things are going really well.
Be interesting.

For some reason I'm having psychological issues with this and I think it comes from greed/fear of missing out. Looking at it realistically I should be feeling MORE comfortable because I'm putting less on the line at first entry.
Not sure what's going on upstairs.

It'll be Me, My Mirror, and the Market.

User avatar
razorboy
rank: 500+ posts
rank: 500+ posts
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:06 am
Reputation: 0
Location: Toronto
Gender: None specified
Contact:

Postby razorboy » Tue May 12, 2009 5:01 pm

let me digest this

josh

MightyOne wrote:"I know that MO often preaches about putting on 3 units from the start and then gradual exiting with profit - then using the profit to build your SL, but I found I kept stopping out on the initial 3 units" -Razorboy

I assume from your gravitation toward a 45 SL that you are getting stopped out often on your small stops.

It helps to understand why you are using the MM that you are using instead of playing with this or that until some thing seems to work.

When you are using a 45 SL and trading in the direction of the trend you are saying that the market did not and should not retrace 45 pips from the low when taking this short.

You are saying that a move greater than 45 pips is not a correction.

When you are using a 45 SL and trading the reversal then you are saying that the market: retraced 45 pips from the low, corrected less than 45 pips, and hit your horizontal to go long.

You are saying that a move greater than 45 pips is not a correction.

Now reread replacing the 45 SL with a 15 pip SL...

Notice how you arrive at the most powerful chart formation; the 1-2-3.




razorboy wrote:As far as scaling in goes, I have been using the horizontal lines as well - using the psych lines that are above and below the current price
-
In a situation where I want to go short,

Typically my first entry is a limit entry at a psych line with a 15 pip SL and my second is is a market with a 40 pip stop loss - total SL on the position is 55/2 = 27.5 pips, which I gradually reduce as price moves my way - meaning I start to see some good profit on my second position - usually by the time my second position is up to 25 points in profit, the SL on my first position would lock in 25 pips of profit and the SL on the second position would be moved to -25 from -42

If price hits my limit order (but not my market) and reverses, I will open up my SL to the 42 and enter a sell limit order with a 17 pip SL at the next higher psych line.

If price hits both my limit and market order and reverses - I kill the whole thing at the -27.5 - the worst damage I can do to my self. Given the dynamics of the market, I don't see how I can keep my initial risk below this level

I know that MO often preaches about putting on 3 units from the start and then gradual exiting with profit - then using the profit to build your SL, but I found I kept stopping out on the initial 3 units

I have found spreading things out like this typically gives me two shots to enter a trade, except where things go 100% wrong

prochargedmopar wrote:New Goal.
Break Even on all accounts combined.

MBTrading - +/- 0.0 Bal. $800.00
FXCM +$144.97 Bal. $994.47
FXDD -$525.30 Bal. 824.70
Total to B/E -$380.33

New technique will be applied.
Still risking 5% overall with a 20 pip stop but I will apply M.O.'s description of scaling in.
1/3 at a time instead of the 1/5.

I will be using a $2.40 full postition tomorrow so I will break it down to .80 each. When calculating Total pips gained I will have to divide by 3.
Example: 3 entries (if trigger finger doesn't freeze over, LOL) would be 60 pips with an actual 20 pip full postition gain compared to if I were to go All in at once.
If all three were to hit stops I would show -60 pips but actually be -20 compared to an all in postition.

Hopefully I'll judge better how things are going and won't miss out on to many pips. Losses will be less painful and I may even stack a couple extra on if things are going really well.
Be interesting.

For some reason I'm having psychological issues with this and I think it comes from greed/fear of missing out. Looking at it realistically I should be feeling MORE comfortable because I'm putting less on the line at first entry.
Not sure what's going on upstairs.

It'll be Me, My Mirror, and the Market.
Ya, I manufacture clear shoe boxes.....http://www.clear-shoe-boxes.com.............who would have thunk!



http://thejoshkerbelproject.com/

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.


Return to “TheRumpledOne”