Aliassmith Beats a "Dead Horse"

free & uncensored discussion arena for TheRumpledOne

Moderator: moderators

LeMercenaire

Re: Aliassmith Beats a "Dead Horse"

Postby LeMercenaire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 am

aliassmith wrote:If you are trying to get better at trading then you will need to study yourself and the market.

One interesting test to do is when you feel like you should close your positions leave 5 to 10% still running and keep a log of what happens to that last piece.

You can see if you are exiting trades where you should be. You might discover 80% of your trades go 20% longer.

Keep a log of your TP and see if you under guess or over guess. This works with losses also. You could find out if you make your SL to tight or too loose.

You won't know any of it if you don't track and study it.

How anyone can expect to get anywhere without running a journal of some sort - even the most basic - is beyond me.

Memory is too subjective and you remember the bad things out of all proportion over the good things that happened.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 am

I started trading for the year this week. It was going well until I accidentally put in an order that was 10 times the size. It went against me right away. It was ugly!

Time to get a shovel and dig out.
Trade Your Way as Long as It Makes Money!

LeMercenaire

Postby LeMercenaire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 pm

aliassmith wrote:I started trading for the year this week. It was going well until I accidentally put in an order that was 10 times the size. It went against me right away. It was ugly!

I've done that once I think - was the quickest trade I'd bailed on ever when I realised! Skin of teeth survival, lol.

Bizarrely I almost topped it by going in on something and getting really miffed that it wouldn't fill quickly enough, then realising I was, err...slightly out on a decimal point ;)

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

LeMercenaire wrote:
aliassmith wrote:I started trading for the year this week. It was going well until I accidentally put in an order that was 10 times the size. It went against me right away. It was ugly!

I've done that once I think - was the quickest trade I'd bailed on ever when I realised! Skin of teeth survival, lol.

Bizarrely I almost topped it by going in on something and getting really miffed that it wouldn't fill quickly enough, then realising I was, err...slightly out on a decimal point ;)

Does your DOM not have buttons where you can save position sizes?

On mine I just: enter a quantity, CTRL+CLICK a button to store the value, and then save settings.

DOM+SETUP.png
DOM+SETUP.png (64.43 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
"Everything Should Be Made As Simple As Possible, But Not Simpler!"

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 pm

IgazI wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:

On mine I just: enter a quantity, CTRL+CLICK a button to store the value, and then save settings.

DOM+SETUP.png

I was on the MT4 app and was switching size.

LeMercenaire

Postby LeMercenaire » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 pm

IgazI wrote:
LeMercenaire wrote:

DOM+SETUP.png

This was AGES ago...I think I even still had hair! ;) Learning time.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:34 am

An acquaintance of mine and I was discussing investing. I knew that in 2020 he took over a defunct 401k plan from his employer.

I asked him how he did since taking it over. He seemed embarrassed to say. I told him it can't be that bad. So he said It started down 5% on the year and I'm positive 103%.

Wow thats great for a 401k account. He told me well I really expected to make over 150%. All I could do was shake my head.

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm

I mentioned in another thread I traded the DOW a lot last year. It was moving a lot and handing out cash.

If someone was to build positions 5 lots at a time and averaged 20 lot positions. If someone also averaged about 500 points per week they could of hypothetically made a little spending cash.

$100 a point
500 points average a week
$50,000/week average.

Conditions come and go.

I'm currently obsessed with Cable we'll see how that works out :lol:

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:06 am

aliassmith wrote:I mentioned in another thread I traded the DOW a lot last year. It was moving a lot and handing out cash.

If someone was to build positions 5 lots at a time and averaged 20 lot positions. If someone also averaged about 500 points per week they could of hypothetically made a little spending cash.

$100 a point
500 points average a week
$50,000/week average.

Conditions come and go.

I'm currently obsessed with Cable we'll see how that works out :lol:

You're speaking my language and it makes me all tingly inside :lol:

Account growth is a function of lot size, pure and simple; if you can manage the added risk
then your account goes up and if it is excessive then your account goes down.

If you think that you can just trade a flat 5 lots and beat the market then ... good luck to you buddy!
"Everything Should Be Made As Simple As Possible, But Not Simpler!"

aliassmith

Postby aliassmith » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:45 am

Looked at some data for some of my favorite vehicles.

An ATR (480) was placed on a H1 chart. That would average the last 20 trading days hour by hour. Approximately a calendar month.

Dow 75 points
Nasdaq 35 points ( 140 ticks)
S&P 9 points (36 ticks)
EU 16 pips
GU 26 pips

The Nasdaq is probably better to trade by the point since it is a wild roller coaster.

There are many ways to judge the markets. If you are looking for a smooth consistent market where just about any size will be filled, you can trade the EU. If you are looking for a wild ride with smaller size being filled you have the Nasdaq.

I don't know what you need but there just might be a pair or index or stock that fits your needs. You could be trading the wrong thing based on what you are capable of doing.

If you want 200 contracts in a $12.50 price per tick the S&P could do that for you if you have $2 million or more to play with.

It is a puzzle but if you find the right market and style that fits you, you'll be much closer to success.

Return to “TheRumpledOne”