2009.06.07 VOLUME SPREAD ANALYSIS

free & uncensored discussion arena for TheRumpledOne

Moderator: moderators

PTG

Postby PTG » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 am

Off topic post deleted :shock:
Last edited by PTG on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

TheRumpledOne

Postby TheRumpledOne » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:08 pm

We got way off topic... back to VOLUME SPREAD ANALYSIS.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

prochargedmopar

Postby prochargedmopar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:50 am

#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

prochargedmopar

Postby prochargedmopar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

TRO.

Is there any way to get the VSA_helper to give the information from one bar back(1) so it does not constantly change as the current bar (0) is being formed?

Thanks.
procharged
#1BODY in direction of profit #2INCREASE lot size Obsessively
My Losses cause me Great Laughter!
Trading Bible here> therumpledone/the-ideas-that-i-trade-by-t3256/page1670

andypeters

Postby andypeters » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:28 pm

To get back off-topic again, I've been with MBT for a couple of years and whilst I'm v happy with their feed and service in general, I think their Navigator sucks in many ways. I'm sure there is functionality on it that I'm not making the most of but they need a good API like IB have so third party one-click software providers like Button Trader can be used. Button Trader is a great piece of kit. Meanwhile, putting on a complex trade using MBT's Navigator is nigh on impossible. Although I'm sure TRO knows a few tricks that I don't.

TheRumpledOne

Postby TheRumpledOne » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:32 am

Stay on topic.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

andypeters

Postby andypeters » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:14 am

Spoilsport.

I used VSA when the software first came out in the UK and in fact interviewed Tom Williams back in the 90's. I still have it in its reincarnation as Tradeguider but don't use it much. The theory sounds fine and anyone who's interested in the concept should read Tom's book, 'The Undeclared Secrets that drive the markets'. It's well written and full of good logic. As you've already identified however, the volume you'll get coming into your MT4 isn't the sort of volume that VSA needs but it would be interesting to hear from those that have been using VSA for FX. Tradeguider said initially that it couldn't be used for FX but now they say it can, presumably because they need the extra sales.

What seems to me to be needed is a way of identifying how the market will react once the current bar has just closed. Across the world millions of PC's have got software analysing bars and candles over discreet and somewhat arbitrary times like on the hour, fifteen minutes past etc and when a bar closes, they all whir away and some of them spit out arrows and draw lines. Now, because there are hundreds of theories about the market, some of the arrows will point up and some will point down but generally there will be a bias in one direction or another. And I suppose that's what TA is trying to do, to work out where the majority of the softwares will be pointing their arrows. So, if there are biases that can be indentified, surely the sensible thing would be to do your analysis 10 seconds before the end of the bar rather than at the very end when everyone else is doing it. You'd then have a 10 second advantage over the rest of the market.

Another idea which occured to me was the analysis of the time taken between bid and ask trades. Has anayone done this sort of analysis, where the time in milliseconds is noted between bid and ask ticks ?

Nirvi

Postby Nirvi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:28 am

The theory appeals to me. Does anyone have backtested it? But there is one fault in the thory. They always talk about professionals. But I think most of the companys just have to trade forex for hedging purpose they don't really want to make profits.

andypeters

Postby andypeters » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:27 am

It's a difficult one to backtest because many of the more meaningful indicators repaint and this is a killer for backtesting.

On the otherhand, I'm not certain that Tom would suggest VSA should be automated because its not a simple matter of seeing an indicator pop up and trading in its direction. They'd prefer users take a more considered approach. The major problem as far as I can see is getting hold of the relevant data which in fx is very difficult if not impossible.

Nirvi

Postby Nirvi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:36 am

I guess you are right!

Return to “TheRumpledOne”