trading without the stop loss orders

trading strategies and money management discussion, code, results

Moderator: moderators

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Unless you are long and not leveraged at all, you always are trading with a forced capital-lack stop loss.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

Skydog-1

Postby Skydog-1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:33 pm

IMHO, I always place a stop WRT a percentage of the ATR, generally, 150-300% (e.g. 1.5*ATR). This method lends itself well to the current volitility of the underlying instrument of trade interest. I never adjust my SL (although every time I get stopped out I find myself reaching for the mouse to move the SL so I can recoup to the inevitable "breakeven" zone). I gut it out, take my loss knowing that I'm still in the game. I then will only trade when the ("my system") cycles through to a new trade setup and I double my units of trade until I've reached the highest profit gained then back down to the single units and continue until the next loss and continue the process.....survival ...... the name of the game if you want to trade for the rest of your life. HTH 8)

dgbones

Postby dgbones » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 pm

I pledged to take a full year off from trading. 5 more days till I'm back. Investing did well enough last year (up 22% net) so I think I leave that alone as every trade and every idea was the brokers not mine. Let me start catching up with the value in all your posts.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

Return to “strategy trading & money management”