Mathemagician Live! on Position Sizing

trading strategies and money management discussion, code, results

Moderator: moderators

jtrade

Postby jtrade » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:21 am

I really appreciate the webinars organised by aspTrader and great thanks also to Math for yesterday's event. However, I have a request especially for non-US residents : could a format be used that allows web-based audio, please ? It's not a cost issue - dialling in from Europe is only a few cents per minute - but a single line issue in a family household !

J.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

TomKeough

Postby TomKeough » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:52 am

jtrade wrote:I really appreciate the webinars organised by aspTrader and great thanks also to Math for yesterday's event. However, I have a request especially for non-US residents : could a format be used that allows web-based audio, please ? It's not a cost issue - dialling in from Europe is only a few cents per minute - but a single line issue in a family household !

J.

Hello,
I have a friend in Zurich who attends using Skype Out via the computer.

http://www.skype.com/

Tom
"We either make ourselves miserable,
or we make ourselves strong.
The amount of work is the same."
- Carlos Castaneda

jtrade

Postby jtrade » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom - you're an early bird, catching some London-session Forex worms !?

Nice Castaneda quote, btw...

J.

TomKeough

Postby TomKeough » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:35 am

Thanks jtrade!
I am a Network Engineer working 12 hour night shifts in the Netwrok Operations Center (7pm - 7am) in St Petersburg, Florida USA.

I get a lot of reading done most nights...
Tom
"We either make ourselves miserable,

or we make ourselves strong.

The amount of work is the same."

- Carlos Castaneda

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm

I am using SkypeOut and its sound quality is not ideal. Very often the sound is scattered. I am considering switching to Yahoo PhoneOut in turn.

Mathemagician did a great presentation. Thanks aspTrader for organizing the event!

It perfectly resonated with my own observation that the more I involve in trading systems modelling on a professional level, the more I understand the real edge can only be achieved by focusing on the position sizing. The "underlying" trading system logic itself is sort of "unimportant" as long as it is robust enough with a positive expectation.

olwisepieeye

Postby olwisepieeye » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:58 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for organizing the event. I have been on the past 2 weeks and don't see that changing going forward :)

Looking forward to next weeks on bar types as well.

geff

Postby geff » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08 pm

I missed it. Was it recorded?

Of course, it would be great to accumulate a library of recorded events but that can be quite a project with all sorts of ramifications.

Perhaps running a replay would be fairly easy.

Thanks - Jeff

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:41 am

Yes, per my first post and I second Jeff's suggestion.

So, what is the story Kreslik? Can you make it happen?

-OS

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:41 am

Ali Son wrote:Yes, per my first post and I second Jeff's suggestion.

So, what is the story Kreslik? Can you make it happen?

-OS

Ali,

my first name is "Michal", not "Kreslik" :)))

It would definitely be great if the webinars were recorded and accessible for download afterwards. It's not always possible for me to attend the webinars on Sunday neither.

We need to ask aspTrader to manage this somehow, I am not an organizer of these events. Anyway, there's plenty of room here in the downloads section and on the kreslik.com system disks to store the seminars.

Michal

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:43 pm

Greeetings!

A few things about these Sunday webinars...
  1. Session audio... From my limited experience, land line number conference call capabilities provide more moderator control over audio quality than pure VOIP. So I now believe that for these kind of sessions, involving folks coming in from around the world, conference call numbers work better. There are several VOIP platforms out now that support free or very low cost DialOut capabilities. I think there is a consensus that Skype audio quality has degraded significantly in the last several months so it's a good thing to experiment with an alternative. I take TomKeough's advice about these matters.

The session with Mathemagician was a little out of the ordinary for these Sunday sessions in that we usually have a lot more interaction among participants.
  2. Session recording... I recently established an arrangement now with a client that gives me access to the conferencing capabilities of GoToMeeting / GoToWebinar so these sessions can be recorded and I'll begin to record them. We did didn't have a chance to record Mathemagician's session and I wouldn't record it anyway if he objected.

I'm virtually certain Mathemagician would agree to come back and make the presentation again. He said he would come back and speak on other topics also.
  3. I'm working on arranging for more guest presenters. News about that sometime soon. If you have an idea of who you'd like to "see and hear", send me a note and I'll see about making it happen.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the Brainstorming Alternative Bar Types and Sizes session we're going to have this Sunday.

http://forums.neoticker.com/showthread. ... 2#post6902
  4. Within the next 2 weeks (and thanks again to TomKeough), I'll have a more systematic process for managing all aspects of these sessions including providing post-session notes and code files as well as recordings.
  5. Webinar day/time... I understand that the time (Sundays at 5am pacific time) is a bit hardcore for folks in the US. The idea behind the day and time is to ensure that as many people as possible from around the globe can make it if they really desire to make it. The expanse of the Pacific Ocean is dark at that hour but for most of the world's population it's a doable time.

Actually, I make a great sacrifice doing that day and hour because my favorite drinking night of the week is now busted.

:D

Michal: thanks for the bullet point editing tip!
Last edited by aspTrader on Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “strategy trading & money management”