Doji's Range Bar Trading

trading strategies and money management discussion, code, results

Moderator: moderators

dojirock

Postby dojirock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:31 am

Hi True,

Its just a simple ma of 6, shifted by 1.

dojirock

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

The_Snowman

ANYONE USING NJ?

Postby The_Snowman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:33 am

adaseb wrote:I don't know if you guys know this but Ninjatrader can easily plot range bars.

Also tick bars, second bar, volume bar, etc.

Considering that the other thread started off as NinjaTrader, perhaps some members may be still using it?

I would certainly like to see a screen shot of an 8 pip Constant Range Bar Chart of EUR - USD for example.

What data feeds are being used if you are trading FOREX with NJ?

Thanks, John

tmanbone

Postby tmanbone » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 am

Dchappy who started the Ninja thread was using Gain Capital because Ninja was free, through them, for fx. Gain recently stopped offering Ninja for free so the crew went to MT4. All eyes here, this is going to be interesting. Thanks,

Doji, I can't figure out how to properly load the range bar indi, it doesn't show up when I put it in my indi folder.
Last edited by tmanbone on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The simplicity of the markets is it's greatest disguise"

T

dojirock

Postby dojirock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:50 am

Just looking at the 1st chart, the naked one, is what I use to scalp. How many times looking at that chart when price makes a high, higher than the previous bar, does the trade become successful? How about lows?

Keep it simple...

dojirock

The_Snowman

REPOSTED FROM OTHER THREAD: THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RANGE

Postby The_Snowman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 am

RANGE BARS are not Renko bars, Heikin Ashi bars, ticks bars or point & figure bars, please read this first -

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/tr ... t-view.asp

I do not have live data access right now, or I would surely be posting some charts.

And for those of you with Metatrader 4, a Constant Range Bar indicator is hard to find, but I did it, check it out here, the FREE version, don't pay for it -

http://www.surefiretradingchallenge.com ... SWWUBQHBCL

and here is how to use it, not as straight forward as just whacking it on the chart, you will see -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J75KzAp11Y4

dojirock

Postby dojirock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 am

Some thoughts for the newbees, (I still consider myself one!) One of the most important things a friend and mentor taugh me is, its not about the pips...Its about the % gain or loss. No matter how big or small of an account you have, measure your successes by % and the dollars will follow.

Would you be happy with 1% per day, week? How about 2%? You must get your emotional mind right before you will be successful. Can you handle 8% a day? or week? Respect and treat trading as a business. Percents. Greed is a powerful sin, and motivator of people to do things wrong. Looking at percents, for me has taught me to avoid the snares of greed.

What is a great trade? 1%, $1.80, $180.00? Focus on the easiest answer, PERCENT.

Set your goals on percents. How nice would it be to be up 40% per month, or 76 percent a month? Think about that over the course of a year!

Look at the chart below, a trade, that is up 2%. Is that good? Some may say oh its only 3.60? Im telling you, from experience a 2% trade is great! Where are you when you do that 5 more times today?

dojirock
Attachments
rb20_3.gif
rb20_3.gif (18.68 KiB) Viewed 3570 times

adaseb

Re: ANYONE USING NJ?

Postby adaseb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 am

The_Snowman wrote:
adaseb wrote:I don't know if you guys know this but Ninjatrader can easily plot range bars.

Also tick bars, second bar, volume bar, etc.

Considering that the other thread started off as NinjaTrader, perhaps some members may be still using it?

I would certainly like to see a screen shot of an 8 pip Constant Range Bar Chart of EUR - USD for example.

What data feeds are being used if you are trading FOREX with NJ?

Thanks, John

The feed I use is for the currency futures.

I am sure there is a demo you can register for to get free data feed for spot forex.

adaseb

Postby adaseb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 am

Here is EURO futures and AUD futures. With SMA 6

pablo101

Postby pablo101 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 am

dojirock wrote:Some thoughts for the newbees, (I still consider myself one!) One of the most important things a friend and mentor taugh me is, its not about the pips...Its about the % gain or loss. No matter how big or small of an account you have, measure your successes by % and the dollars will follow.

Would you be happy with 1% per day, week? How about 2%? You must get your emotional mind right before you will be successful. Can you handle 8% a day? or week? Respect and treat trading as a business. Percents. Greed is a powerful sin, and motivator of people to do things wrong. Looking at percents, for me has taught me to avoid the snares of greed.

What is a great trade? 1%, $1.80, $180.00? Focus on the easiest answer, PERCENT.

Set your goals on percents. How nice would it be to be up 40% per month, or 76 percent a month? Think about that over the course of a year!

Look at the chart below, a trade, that is up 2%. Is that good? Some may say oh its only 3.60? Im telling you, from experience a 2% trade is great! Where are you when you do that 5 more times today?

dojirock

Wise words Doji, nice idea :)

I've been trying hard not to think in $$$ but also in %, but even this is tough now as I'm thinking I need to this % percent everyday to be happy. So I'm trying to find other ways to not sabotage my growth.

Lately, what makes me keep from freezing up is thinking that my gains are other peoples cash and I using their cash for my trading.

I'm also taking some of those gains to pay myself regularly, the idea is that my original capital is still there so I'm not risking anything at all, I'm getting paid for my time trading 'another' persons account making me feel less stressed and not thinking in $$$ or %.

This works for me so far, hope this makes sense and can help someone else.

dojirock

Postby dojirock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Kind of slow today...but still taken some pips!
Attachments
rb20_5.gif
rb20_5.gif (28.71 KiB) Viewed 3505 times

Return to “strategy trading & money management”