Extreme calculations call for extreme computing power

never design a trading system without proper prior analysis. post your market statistics here

Moderator: moderators

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Well, thanks for clarifying, Edward. You know him, and I don't. And, if he's at the level you state he is at, then I certainly understand.

Too bad, though, would certainly have been intellectually exciting; I'm sure there are other closet (even if only in there minds :wink: ) system traders out there. Was hoping to bring them out of the woodworks.

Take care.

eudamonia wrote:Ali,

I've been watching Michal and Avery for a couple years. I remember those threads. Those systems that Michal posted results for were his sophomore attempts. The last time I talked to him about it he was of the mind that he did not need or wish to share his results. He can of course correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I recall him saying last.

Edward

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:01 pm

Ali,

I understand. Most of the system traders I know keep the game pretty close to their chest. It's yet another reason I like being a discretionary trader. It makes socializing a lot easier! Good luck.

Edward
Eudaimonia (pron.: you-die-moan-e-a) (Greek: εὐδαιμονία) is a classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness'. The less subjective "human flourishing" is often preferred as a translation.

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:42 pm

:) Yes, count us lucky, we happy many, and the "miserably lonely" invisible few.

But, as Michal liked to say, "you can't stop progress."

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Ali,

I won't argue with Michal. He knows what he's doing when it comes to auto trading. But it's not for me.

Edward
Eudaimonia (pron.: you-die-moan-e-a) (Greek: εὐδαιμονία) is a classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness'. The less subjective "human flourishing" is often preferred as a translation.

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 am

I hear you. And, to some extent, I agree with you re: socializing. :D With you on that car in your picture, you give the impression you'd rather spend your free time chasing speed of a different variety....fast cars and fast women. :wink: :lol:

Compelling, indeed. As they say, point, counterpoint.

And, so it goes....life is filled with tradeoffs.

Take care my friend.

eudamonia wrote:Ali,

I won't argue with Michal. He knows what he's doing when it comes to auto trading. But it's not for me.

Edward

michal.kreslik

Re: Extreme calculations call for extreme computing power

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:28 pm

gmb1994 wrote:
michal.kreslik wrote: ... Avery (TheRumpledOne) got a new computer by mail ...

From where'd you get your computer?

I found some nice systems at http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtml

I got the parts from different wholesalers here in Europe. There's simply no ready made box that suits my needs :)

Michal

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:36 pm

Ali Son wrote:Whoah. Just how many trading systems do you have Michal that needs all this computer power? And, I take it you are running more than 1 computer at a time too?!?

Usually I'm running about 5 computers at a time.

There's no trading system that needs this computer power while it trades. But calculating the statistics & running the optimizations takes all computer power you can get. There's simply never enough computing power for optimizations :D

(Unfortunately, the above is not my optimization computing cluster)

(yet :D)

Ali Son wrote:Hmmm....you've been at it for some time now, ever since the days at the TS forum, just about when I joined there. I'd be interested to see some of your results. I don't think you've posted any actual trading reports here, have you? Let's see those sexy equity curves, as automated trading discussion is something that I am sure there is an interest in discussing more here as well. And, I know TRO is more of a discretionary trading man himself, unlike you.

True, I've got less time for publishing and writing articles now. It's because I focus on two fully automated trading projects (FPI & high frequency bank trading one).

There are many remarkable findings that I'd like to share with fellow traders and system developers here, but, as Mathemagician (John Joseph) once put it, "I can either be a famous scientist if I publish my position sizing algorithms or I can make money with it." Like John, I rather go for the latter option.

Anyway, I keep posting findings that are of general nature and of value to traders and system developers here at kreslik.com. Right now I'm getting ready to make a post on relative spread statistics.

The FPI has got a theoretically close-to-linear equity curve as given the execution is flawless, there are no losing arbitrages (!). (Note that I'm not using the word "trades" as the FPI is not a trading system in a common sense). The FPI framework is not fully debugged yet, so no continuous live testing has been performed yet.

I'd say that posting trading results that are not officially confirmed brokerage statements is kind of useless. I've seen so many fantastic equity curves that were actually made up or not calculated correctly (typical example: Tradestation equity curves with no trading costs included or look-inside-bar turned off).

As Ed (Eudamonia) correctly said, the discretionary traders can learn in a much less competitive way from each other. But once the system developer reveals the final code, anyone can just copy & paste it and start using it without any additional effort. Even without having a brain :)

Michal

pt01

Postby pt01 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:04 pm

Hi Michal -
Are you now doing development/optimization exclusively on the Neotick platform? (I am waiting for the $ to rally a bit to buy NT :D )
How many multiple installation of NT can one have under one license I wonder? (since you mentioned you'd have 5 pc's running doing optimization, etc.)
Thanks.

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:19 pm

pt01 wrote:Hi Michal -
Are you now doing development/optimization exclusively on the Neotick platform? (I am waiting for the $ to rally a bit to buy NT :D )
How many multiple installation of NT can one have under one license I wonder? (since you mentioned you'd have 5 pc's running doing optimization, etc.)
Thanks.

I've written my own optimization and testing tools in C# and SQL, so I'm not dependent on NeoTicker. 90% of all testing I'm doing outside of Neo.

I'm using NeoTicker to process the broker orders.

Michal

Patch

Postby Patch » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 pm

PT01

Don't hold your breath, the dollar can always either go up or down. It seems to be heading south as I now pay more for water filters I order from Canada, and I am here outside the beltway.

Take a look at the EURJPY. jb
ENOUGH being a Yalie for me Back to the Sea. "What i can lose, i can win" "YES YOU CAN" - dragon33 -"Pick one method and one pair and stick with them until you master it. "The choice is yours - success or failure." TRO

Return to “statistics”