Extreme calculations call for extreme computing power

never design a trading system without proper prior analysis. post your market statistics here

Moderator: moderators

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 pm

4x=0,

Of course the majority of traders in this day and age use computers to some degree. Most of the professional trading firms are using fully automated or partially automated execution.

I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to presume that computer aided or controlled trading is not the wave of the future. However, I disagree Michal's premise that "there can be no successful TA-based trading without the help of computers..."

Also I think that to say that mechanical trading is better than discretionary or vice versa is presumptuous. What the the individual is really saying is that method is better for them. Even if all of the years of experience from the best discretionary traders in the world could suddenly be plugged into the mechanical trader's brain he still wouldn't trade in a discretionary fashion. He might pick up a few tips and then he would code strategies based on that data. On the flip side if all of the world's best automated strategies were handed to the discretionary trader he would not auto trade them - he would find out how to use them in a discretionary fashion.

Edward
Eudaimonia (pron.: you-die-moan-e-a) (Greek: εὐδαιμονία) is a classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness'. The less subjective "human flourishing" is often preferred as a translation.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

TheRumpledOne

Postby TheRumpledOne » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:24 pm

It was funny to watch Michal squirm while the package sat there unopened.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

4x=0

Postby 4x=0 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:14 pm

lol that photo is great. he looks really, really, happy.

gmb1994

Re: Extreme calculations call for extreme computing power

Postby gmb1994 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:06 am

michal.kreslik wrote: ... Avery (TheRumpledOne) got a new computer by mail ...

From where'd you get your computer?

I found some nice systems at http://www.digitaltigers.com/index.shtml

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:28 pm

TheRumpledOne wrote:It was funny to watch Michal squirm while the package sat there unopened.

Avery is a sadist. He was like "ehhh, I don't think it's the right time to open the box yet..".

gmb1994

Postby gmb1994 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:51 am

LOL :D

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:20 am

Whoah. Just how many trading systems do you have Michal that needs all this computer power? And, I take it you are running more than 1 computer at a time too?!?

Hmmm....you've been at it for some time now, ever since the days at the TS forum, just about when I joined there. I'd be interested to see some of your results. I don't think you've posted any actual trading reports here, have you? Let's see those sexy equity curves, as automated trading discussion is something that I am sure there is an interest in discussing more here as well. And, I know TRO is more of a discretionary trading man himself, unlike you.

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Ali,

With all due respect if Michal is selling his system (or services of his system) to any hedge funds I'm totally sure that he cannot disclose anything like his equity curve results. And in all fairness why should he have to anyway? To satisfy your curiosity?

Edward
Eudaimonia (pron.: you-die-moan-e-a) (Greek: εὐδαιμονία) is a classical Greek word commonly translated as 'happiness'. The less subjective "human flourishing" is often preferred as a translation.

Ali Son

Postby Ali Son » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:56 pm

Well, actually to foster discussion and learning for all. Maybe you are new to this but this is typically done, and he did do it at least once if I recall in the TS forums, as did TRO. Go see for yourself, if you have access to that forum.

It's actually an art form to dissecting such reports and figuring out the characteristics that make a good system. Do you know how to judge a good system? It's not as easy as it looks. It seemed lacking that he hadn't done so here and initiate such discussions after transfering to this forum. Hopefully, that clarifies the question for you.

In any case, you've answered my question somewhat. He's much further along and enjoying great successes than I imagined! :) BTW, I did not know he was selling his systems to hedge funds. Obviousy, that puts a different spin on the matter. (Still, it's not like publishing the code. Many people who run hedge funds do post such [unidentified] results also for the sake of discussion, as it's not in and of itself intellectual property---being a lawyer,I can attest to that.)

Later.

eudamonia wrote:Ali,

With all due respect if Michal is selling his system (or services of his system) to any hedge funds I'm totally sure that he cannot disclose anything like his equity curve results. And in all fairness why should he have to anyway? To satisfy your curiosity?

Edward
Last edited by Ali Son on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eudamonia

Postby eudamonia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Ali,

I've been watching Michal and Avery for a couple years. I remember those threads. Those systems that Michal posted results for were his sophomore attempts. The last time I talked to him about it he was of the mind that he did not need or wish to share his results. He can of course correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I recall him saying last.

Edward

Return to “statistics”