Lawrence Chan of NeoTicker answers our questions

platform related discussion

Moderator: moderators

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:36 am

aspTrader wrote:The partitioning of minute and tick data into separate files by day is tremendous IMO. It means that a single physical file can get corrupted without corrupting the whole data series.

aspTrader, what may cause a single data file to become corrupted on your hard disk? I guess the hardware failures are very rare today.

With SQL, you can comfortably mirror the database to entirely other computer automatically over home LAN, so even if the orignal hard drive goes bananas, you still have the fully functional mirrored version on the second computer.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:18 pm

michal.kreslik wrote:I would go for some free SQL, like as I've already expressed :) the MS SQL Express 2005. The data would be stored offline in the SQL and loaded into memory upon request. This would make it possible for the third party tools (now I'm talking about my own SW tools) to prepare and store the data into the known, standard format - SQL and make this data available for Neo and other data-mining SW, too, at the same time.

The great general idea of NeoTicker is to separate platform, data provider and a brokerage so that the user might actually choose which service provider offers the best value and functionality for him. Then, separating and in fact standardizing the format in which the history data is stored would be the logical next step for TickQuest.

Michal,

I'm with you in general on the value of using a relational database as an advanced option for NeoTicker data storage.

However, I just don't believe standard RDBMS products will turn out to be fast enough for high frequency, multi-symbol, realtime data storage. That's why I recommend a close look at www.kx.com. If NT is going to be best of breed and do relational then use a best of breed RDBMS specifically designed for trading applications.

michal.kreslik

Postby michal.kreslik » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Well, if for some reason MS SQL 2005 Express should not suite anybody's performance needs, then you can get your hands on the MS SQL 2005 Enterprise edition that normally costs several dozen thousand bucks, for about 50 dollars in a form of the "Developer" edition.

The Developer has the same features as the Enterprise does (unlimited # of CPUs, 64bit support, parallel index operations, Oracle replication.. etc.) only you can't use it for more than one user legally.

The list of features:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/f ... tures.mspx

The Developer edition is not listed here, but has the same features as the "Enterprise" edition.

Enterprise Edition

Developer Edition

I guess few people notice they are the same :):)

I think no one can beat getting MS SQL Enterprise edition for 50 bucks :)

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Since the current file based method suits real-time access pretty well, it is not a good idea to change that or adding options in sub-release.

On the other hand, export function, especially scheduled export, could be a good alternative for now as a new feature and that is something on the wish list for a long time anyway.
Lawrence Chan
TickQuest Inc.
http://www.tickquest.com

christhlo2

Postby christhlo2 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:10 am

Hi Lawrence,

Where I can find the spec./ information and functions list of Grid Optimizer ?

Thanks!

Chris

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Lawrence Chan wrote:Since the current file based method suits real-time access pretty well, it is not a good idea to change that or adding options in sub-release.

On the other hand, export function, especially scheduled export, could be a good alternative for now as a new feature and that is something on the wish list for a long time anyway.

For the foreseeable future I would be strongly AGAINST trying to get a relational data base product to work with real time access and strongly FOR a historical export to some RDBMS product.

IMO, it could take significant resource attention away from other NT enhancement requests. And, then, even more when the performance turned out to be unacceptable.

For historical data analysis, an RDBMS export utility would be fantastic.

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:49 pm

christhlo2 wrote:Hi Lawrence,

Where I can find the spec./ information and functions list of Grid Optimizer ?

Thanks!

Chris

We do not have much information on our main site because it is not a general release.

On the other hand it can be summarized pretty easily here,

1. Grid Optimizer is an independent application that works with NeoTicker.

2. It can conduct optimization using multiple NeoTicker nodes at the same time to cut down on optimization time. So when you have 2 NeoTicker working on the optimization task, it reduces the time requirement by half. With 3 NeoTicker, it reduces the time requirement by 3 times, etc.

3. You can optimize anything - from indicator parameters, data series settings, or even the chart environemnt settings.

4. Optimization does not need to be done continuously. You can resume or expand an existing optimization anytime you want.

5. All results from optimization are saved into a database for query.

6. You can export results into Excel or Text files.

7. You can conduct optimization in various modes - brute force, monte carlo, hybrid of brute force and monte carlo, and our own special smart search

8. Since all results are saved, you can query for the best cases based on multiple filters and criterias.
Lawrence Chan

TickQuest Inc.

jstockman

Postby jstockman » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:26 am

Mr. Chan,

My biggest concern is experience. I started with TS in May with no programming experience. I took their boot camp course over the mail and self taight. With the help of the TS forum I have been able to learn and do some programming.

What does your company offer for the new programmer.

What are the docs like?

I looked at your forum. Unless I was at the wrong place it did not have the support when compared to the TS community. How do we close that gap?

And anyother questions that concern new folks to the programming language?

Jimmyj

TomKeough

Postby TomKeough » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:18 am

Hi Jimmyj,
I have been using NeoTicker since January.

The short answer to your question IMHO is that the burdon is on the user to self direct the learning experience with NeoTicker. It will require a great deal more work on your part to learn NeoTicker than TradeStation.

There are no bootcamps and the documentation doesn't have enough examples to make it easy to learn the fine points. There are also many "undocumented features" that we learn about through the give and take with the developers via the forum.

What you get for your effort is a vastly superior trading platform that is growing organically day by day and the growth is influenced by the end users whose voices are heard and headed. The NeoTicker user community takes up the slack and we help one another with each and every issue that is presented on the NeoTicker Forum. But as I mentioned, you have to drive the issue and do your homework first before anyone will take you seriously.

NeoTicker is not for everyone. I think of it as the graduate program in advanced system trading.
Tom
"We either make ourselves miserable,
or we make ourselves strong.
The amount of work is the same."
- Carlos Castaneda

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:49 pm

jstockman wrote:Mr. Chan,

My biggest concern is experience. I started with TS in May with no programming experience. I took their boot camp course over the mail and self taight. With the help of the TS forum I have been able to learn and do some programming.

What does your company offer for the new programmer.

What are the docs like?

I looked at your forum. Unless I was at the wrong place it did not have the support when compared to the TS community. How do we close that gap?

And anyother questions that concern new folks to the programming language?

Jimmyj

For new users without programming experience, the best bet is to start with the formula language because you can get things done quickly which can help you understand all the basic operations of NeoTicker.

The documentation for NeoTicker is simply the Help file. You can check it out in our support area where you can download the PDF version.

For tutorials on writing formula, you can check out the tutorials I have written in our blog site. I have separated the tutorials into 3 categories,

1. quote formulas
http://newsletter.neoticker.com/?cat=13

2. writing indicators
http://newsletter.neoticker.com/?cat=14

3. writing trading systems
http://newsletter.neoticker.com/?cat=15

Strictly speaking, NeoTicker does not have a "programming language" for writing complex indicators/systems. What NeoTicker has is a object model that can be used in various standard programming languages. Thats why there is no "programming language" reference because you can obtain standard programming language references easily.

Writing complex indicators may not be something you needed to do.

Many users use NeoTicker to set up very complex groups of charts without touching things beyond formulas.
Lawrence Chan

TickQuest Inc.

Return to “NeoTicker platform”