Lawrence Chan of NeoTicker answers our questions

platform related discussion

Moderator: moderators

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:55 am

Hi Lawrence,

Can and will key NeoTicker Grid Optimizer methods be made ActiveX methods such that they may be called by an external (GA) Optimizer?

Your NTGO is a tremendous product in itself. But we would like to drive the establishment of values to be tested in a system through the NTGO from an external optimizer that is a GA.

We already know we can drive NT optimization already using an external GA based optimizer. But your NTGO provides such value that we don't want to lose access to it's features while optimizing.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

jstockman

Postby jstockman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Mr. Chan,

My biggest concern is experience. I started with TS in May with no programming experience. I took their boot camp course over the mail and self taight. With the help of the TS forum I have been able to learn and do some programming.

What does your company offer for the new programmer.

What are the docs like?

I looked at your forum. Unless I was at the wrong place it did not have the support when compared to the TS community. How do we close that gap?

And anyother questions that concern new folks to the programming languang?

Jimmyj

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:55 pm

brwkem wrote:Any idea how often MBTrading changes there API?

I thought IB's historical data was a bit flacky, especially for equities?

MB API does not change very often. Its much more stable comparing to IB. Only when there are necessary features that must be added would you see MB requiring its users to update to the new releases. For example, when they need to support Forex trading, then the API is upgraded.

IB's historical data are ok - but there is some issues related to the historical data API that make it very slow. Every few requests, IB would fail one of the requests and refuses to provide historical data for a minute or so. Very odd indeed :(
Lawrence Chan
TickQuest Inc.
http://www.tickquest.com

brwkem

Postby brwkem » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:28 am

Talked with MB today they plan to add historical data in a few months for both futures and equities. Now they didnt indicate the timeframe; tick, min dily etc. for the data. Sure hope they provide decent reliable data similiar in context with IB but not with the same slowness.

brwkem

Postby brwkem » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:57 am

Read some comments about Neoticker using too much memory and tying up the cpu causing crashes any comments on this?

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:46 pm

brwkem wrote:Read some comments about Neoticker using too much memory and tying up the cpu causing crashes any comments on this?

NeoTicker's architecture has gone through multiple phases.

One of the biggest changes from v2 to v3 (quite a few years ago) was the decision to make NeoTicker highly threaded and multiple CPU friendly. At that time multiple CPU PCs are not common. Thus a power user with a single CPU PC (speed <= 1.5G) will find that NeoTicker "feels" slow back then.

Fast forward to now, dual core, hyper-threading, etc. is common for even entry level computers. NeoTicker's multiple threaded design pays off and making it very efficient for large scale computation and running many windows (charts, quote, etc.) at the same time.

Our quote formula technology is probably one of the most used feature due to its convenience. Just picture this - you type a formula into the quote window to display the 5-min bar based stochastic, and then all the symbols in the quote window are displaying that which also update in real-time. That is very neat :)

The convenience has a cost - that is, NeoTicker has to take care of the formulas in its background. All indicator you are using in the quote window are actually indicator series, and these indicator series depends on some invisible data series. These series all take up memory and that adds up. When you have too many quote formulas (like 1000 symbols with 20 to 30 indicators), and not enough physical memory to handle that, your computer will have to use the virtual memory extensively and eventually crash.

We tried to put safe guards to block users from "over-using" their computer resources, but our power users rejected that because they always stretch their computers to the limit :shock:
Lawrence Chan

TickQuest Inc.

christhlo2

Postby christhlo2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Lawrence,

Just wonder if we can cross reference the data(Time/Price/Volume) in a candlestick chart along with a Point & Figure chart of the same instrument and same time frame in NeoTicker.

Thanks !

Chris
O:)

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:16 pm

christhlo2 wrote:Hi Lawrence,

Just wonder if we can cross reference the data(Time/Price/Volume) in a candlestick chart along with a Point & Figure chart of the same instrument and same time frame in NeoTicker.

Thanks !

Chris
O:)

There are 2 separate ways doing that,

1. visually - NeoTicker can line up the candlestick bars with the point and figure bars. The P&F bars will be positioned unevenly onto the candlesticks.

2. programmatically - NeoTicker has a tool in its indicator object model called Managed Series. You can effectively "create" a virtual p&f chart inside an indicator running off your candlestick data (e.g. 1-min bar) and then you can easily cross reference the information.

I wrote a blog about that sometime ago,
http://newsletter.neoticker.com/?p=219

I like the concept of p&f a lot and the managed series is a way to enable system testing on p&f chart patterns :)
Lawrence Chan

TickQuest Inc.

christhlo2

Postby christhlo2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi Lawrence,

Wow ! That was quick ! Less than 60 mins response time on SUNDAY ???

Excellent job on handling different chart style by using "managed series". I will definitely look into the page you wrote on the subject in NeoTicker's blog.

Thanks again ! Have a great weekend and happy watching World Cup final later on, that is, if you like soccer.

Chris

=D>

Lawrence Chan

Postby Lawrence Chan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I like working on Sunday for several hours - more relaxed environment than weekdays which we are always pressed on time :)

And by the afternoon, I always review all my charts and trades from the past week to prepare for the week ahead.
Lawrence Chan

TickQuest Inc.

Return to “NeoTicker platform”