My TRO EAs

Moderator: moderators

forexbob

Postby forexbob » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:35 am

pipingtom,

all attachments (also version 5) are attached to the second post
on page 1 of this thread.
The highest Forex rebates: http://www.cashbackforex.info

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

at120

Postby at120 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm

hi guys!

NS, thanks a lot for the updated 5th version! :-)
I wanted to demoing this EA but than I realized that I need an "ECN" version,
which means, I first have to set the order and after this I have to modify this order with SL and/or TP. hmm...

I'm trading and demoing, 3clipz Retest Scalp method. So also for this method
an EA could be usefull, BUT as NS said, only once a time.
Of course a lot of coding and testing/demoing is nessesary, as a good and relaible (not account blowing EA) is much work!

Bye, AT

newschool

Postby newschool » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:41 pm

at120 what do you mean about the ECN version? Just put 14 instead of 140 in the SL if you dont have 5 digits...

at120

Postby at120 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 pm

hi NS!

No, I have five digit broker, so 140 pips are ok. But my demo broker is a
ECN broker. So you have to send first the order, and when the order is open,
you have to/can modify the SL and/or TP. As with ECN broker it is not
possible to send a order and in the same step a SL/TP with it. So order ad SL/TP needs two steps:
- first send order and then
- senond send SL/TP

This is true for every ECN broker (also for e.g.MBT) as I know.
Try MBT MT4 platform on demo and you'll see what I mean. :-)

Bye, AT

newschool

Postby newschool » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:54 am

Ok I see. But I dont think it was a problem for the EA... I mean I had no errors when testing...

=====================================

Here I have something to choose for the EA, I think there are 2 global strategies :

1. We want the EA to take all the good trades, thus we use wide detection values , but we put a smaller s/l and a tighter exit. So we make more false entries, but at the end the average is positive.

2. We want the EA to take only the fewer very good trades, thus we watch for perfect conditions for an entry and then we use a bigger s/l. But if we miss the trade we don't re-try many times in the next minutes/hours. We just pass.

This is my dilemma at the moment...

jhtumblin

Postby jhtumblin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am

Here I have something to choose for the EA, I think there are 2 global strategies :

1. We want the EA to take all the good trades, thus we use wide detection values , but we put a smaller s/l and a tighter exit. So we make more false entries, but at the end the average is positive.

2. We want the EA to take only the fewer very good trades, thus we watch for perfect conditions for an entry and then we use a bigger s/l. But if we miss the trade we don't re-try many times in the next minutes/hours. We just pass.

Just my opinion but I think you are approaching this the wrong way by ignoring money management rules, which in the long run will create losses.

1. If an entry is valid, it is valid correct? If it isn't then you need to throw this idea out altogether and go straight to number 2. If in fact it is valid, you leave the tight s/l in and use a risk/reward ratio which will give you a greater winning expectancy despite the winning percentage.

2. If you do have a way to filter the trades to take the "fewer very good trades," then use that instead and depending what your s/l is, you still have to use a target which gives you a winning expectancy determined by the expected winning percentage.

An entry signal should be the best signal you can find based on your entry strategy. It will not always be right, I can guarantee you that but you can't make any money if your EA never pulls the trigger either. This talk of finding the perfect signal is starting to sound like a grail search. Get an entry that is good enough, and tweak the managed side of the trade to create profits. We already know the semaphore isn't magical but that it can be used for valid signals, so if you treat it this way you will find what you're looking for faster.

bredin

Postby bredin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 am

I get better ea results basing sl on support/resistance lines, and setting position size accordingly.

If I move stops I move them on sup/res lines as well (fractals, pivots, past semas).

working on exits based on market conditions rather than a straight tp works better in the long run (IME) as static values of sl/tp can be invalidated by market conditions.

IME static sl just doesnt work well enough; a tight sl just means you lose less money more often :) a bigger sl might give the trade time to develop, but market conditions might change and invalidate your position while still in drawdown.

Its tough to get right, especially over the long term. Sometimes what appears to be a sensible and safe decision causes an otherwise profitable ea to hemorrhage :)

G.
Welcome to the era of "Guns and Maskies" Trading!
The previous message contains discretion. Viewer nudity is advised.
Insanity Industries Indicators Here
Insanity Industries on YouTube!

TheRumpledOne

Postby TheRumpledOne » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am

FOR THE RECORD:

I DO NOT WRITE EAs.

THERE ARE NO TRO EAs.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

bredin

Postby bredin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Theres a post on page 4 or so about making a backtest faster.

The issue is the sheer amount of calls to what is a VERY processor intensive indicator, 3_Level_ZZ_Semafor. 10 calls every tick, iirc, and the indi calculates stuff that you dont need, as well.

there are 2 solutions:
The first is to mod the indi itself to remove unnecessary cycles (easy done), the second is include the indi into the ea code (not quite so easy), or 3 (ok I lied a little)- do both. Call these options good, better, best.

The ZZ indi is fairly easy to include since it does not use IndicatorCounted(), and instead recalculates everything every tick- you can see why its so cpu abusive. doing so also allows us to cut out the 'useless' calculations:- why work out where the 2's are if you only want threes? and why calculate the semaphores for every bar on the chart every tick when only the recent ones matter?

It occurred to me later that there is a 4th way: use an indi that is less processor intensive but yields the same results. In this case a simple DSR indi reveals the same points as ZZ. I think TRO mentioned this somewhere, probably in a DTB thread.

In any case I like what youve done so far

dennis_m1965

3 SEMA EA Re-Compiled

Postby dennis_m1965 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Any ideas on why this code wont trade?
Attachments
3SEMA_EA.mq4
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Last edited by dennis_m1965 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MetaTrader”