MetaTrader 4 and MQL 4 overview

Moderator: moderators

forest

Postby forest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:52 pm

aspTrader wrote:The problem with this point of view is this...

The selection of a trading platform is a significant and strategic decision. To take a decision merely because a data feed can be configured for one platform more quickly than another is absurd.

I agree, the end choice is indeed signicant and possibly detrimental. I do appreciate the discussion. However, it was just my first impression and is why I stated it might be a minor issue in order to give myself some wiggle room. I have found that more often than not, a program's ease of implementation is indicative of how well thought out the rest of the software has been developed. I cannot think of a more important aspect in order to sell your product than the initial impression. Isn't that the whole point of a trial period?

From my point of view, NeoTicker is not as intuitive to get up and running compared to some other solutions being considered, MT4 included. That doesn't mean it is the overall best/worst solution.

My objective is to have a successful model I can optimize and massage that can be traded via a mechanical system with the least amount of distractions possible.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

forest

Postby forest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:23 pm

michal.kreslik wrote:
Forest, imagine yourself being presented with a package of:
  • a wife
  • a house
  • and car
8)

Isn't that terrific to have all in one for one price? :)

No, it isn't. Choosing a wife, a house and a car requires more work but is definitely worth the hassle.

Michal, I suppose if I were offered such a package of unrelated items, you are definitely correct, it is likely I would not enjoy the combination somebody else compiled to offer me.

When I was just out of college, I had the same same delimma as posed on this forum when choosing my Architectural CAD software. There were many solutions being developed and in their infancy, thus all were buggy. AutoCAD was the front-runner and the mainstay (similar to Tradestation) since it had an established user base and was being ported from it's engineering/drafting platform into 3D, but it was unbelievably cumbersome and since it came from an engineering background, it was not conducive towards how a designer thought. It really turned me off, that I had to spend time learning a programming syntax in order to convey my designs. Rightbrain/leftbrain conflicts.

Fortunately, that intuition ended up being correct. I purchased all the architectural software I could at a student discount and tried them out for almost a six month period of evaluation. I ended up selecting the software (happened to be the most expensive too) that was a reasonably intuitive 3D modeling and presentation solution which translated it's model into a working drawing to be used as plans for the building's construction. I still happily use this all-in-one software package (ArchiCAD) to this day.

That's how I am attempting to approach this. What software will accomplish my end without my being distracted by it's idiosyncrasies? I want to "design" trading models and have the software implement them. That's it's job.

aspTrader

Postby aspTrader » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:20 pm

forest wrote:From my point of view, NeoTicker is not as intuitive to get up and running compared to some other solutions being considered, MT4 included.

I agree that the power and ease of use of NeoTicker is not obvious or intuitive at first glance.

I also insist that it is among the most powerful trading platforms available and has a nicely designed means for accessing the controls for it's features.

michal.kreslik

Re: MetaTrader 4 and MQL 4 overview

Postby michal.kreslik » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:35 pm

michal.kreslik wrote:But aspTrader says that the Grid optimizer will be free until September or so. I will check with TickQuest and will keep you posted here.

As promised, I queried Tickquest:

michal.kreslik wrote:I have been told by aspTrader that it
seems the GO will be free until September or so for NT users.

Is that true?

reply:

GO is in preview for clients before its official release.
Thus it is available to all clients before it goes official.

After its official release a demo version will be made available.

But still we don't know when the official release will be ready. I'll try to find out and will keep you posted.

aspTrader

Re: MetaTrader 4 and MQL 4 overview

Postby aspTrader » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:16 am

michal.kreslik wrote:But still we don't know when the official release will be ready. I'll try to find out and will keep you posted.

Here's the link saying that the free version would expire at the end of September. Worst case is that only the first build mentioned in that blog post has a hard end of September expiration.

It took me 3 months to decide to make the break from Tradestation even after I knew I had to do it.

http://newsletter.neoticker.com/?p=224

Lenar

Postby Lenar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:36 am

michal.kreslik wrote:Please do, Lenar!

Michal ,im sorry, but i cant. Please dont ask about that. If you want me to answer to questions about our products, im always at your service. But compare some products - i wont do it. Sorry.
Best Regards, Lenar Fatkhullin
MetaQuotes Software Corp.
http://www.metaquotes.net

jamesdufresne7

Charts for MetaTrader 4

Postby jamesdufresne7 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:59 am

Does anyone know how to access a 3 minute or 10 minute chart through Meta Trader? I can only see the 1, 5, 15, 30...and so on. I prefer to scalp and would like to know how i could get those two specific time frames if possible.
Thanks.

TheRumpledOne

Postby TheRumpledOne » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:21 am

MT4 doesn't have 3 or 10 min charts.

Someone wrote a program to simulate difference tiime periods.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU TRADE, IT'S HOW YOU TRADE IT!

Please do NOT PM me with trading or coding questions, post them in a thread.

Batchboy

live$ account data storer

Postby Batchboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:31 am

hi,
I urgently need to know how or what means to have more live 1Min barts for tester. Currently it seems either MT4 or IBFX is limiting the data that stays with MT4. When I flip to tester window and look art history center data available for a back-test/optimization there there is only couple days of data despite hitting update. The MT4 has been running a live$$ account for many months, but it only keeps a couple days! I've set the chart and storage limit values in options way up too.
If a broker can limit this remotely so folks don't have data to optimize with re: live$-acct data, then I need an EA that will store 1Min bar in a separate file which I can call upon by history center to import. The EA would need to not allow holes (naturtally would have to keep MT4 on or not miss 2 days) or avoid doing overlap of time-stamp data.
Any such around? Or someone put together said EA? Or recommendation to do?
I can scarcely believe the lack of demand on web for such when searching around, as when optimizing an EA demo data is a crummy off-broadway version of live bars, thus demo-tests and optimizations are not really good, so many being sold on EAs with "back-tests" that are nada!!!!!
If this can be done per above whomever develops this simple EA unit will not only have very valuable in need product, but stored IBFX live$-acct type data will also be invaluable! No?
jb
:shock:

metatraders

MetaTrader Programming

Postby metatraders » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:35 am

Metatrader is one of the most popular trading platform among presently existing. Wide configuration and control possibilities for brokers and robust programming tool - integrated MQL language - for traders make the system handy and versatile in use at its maximum.

For more details visit us at
MQL4 Programmer :P

Return to “MetaTrader”