What do you call yourself?

everything that doesn't belong elsewhere cometh here

Moderator: moderators

es/pip

Postby es/pip » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:39 pm

adaseb wrote:I don't tell people either because they will think that since I made money doing it, so will they and they want me to teach them.

And I hate teaching people anything.

You don't know how many people are out there with unrealistic expectations who want to make $200 a day (typically what their job pays) with a $5000 account and no experience what so ever.

One guy said he will probably start trading AAPL (Apple stock) fulltime because he looked at the charts and everyday it has dips, and he will just buy at the dips. But I don't know what crystal ball he has laying around in his closet that will tell him which dips will be the swing lows.

When I got started in trading it was all fun and games. It was fun backtesting and demo trading and s**t. But now trading full time is a real bitch and sometimes really stressful. Sure you can make thousands a day but you really have to work for it. And I mean REALLY work for it. You have a very small margin for error. And the market is so dynamic with time that what works today might not work in the future.

I hate it with a passion when some noobs ask "How much can I make trading" or "how much do you make trading" or "what is the win rate with this method"

I really think that more people would succeed in trading if they just stopped browsing forums looking for indicators that plot an up arrow or down error when to enter/exit trades. Most people spend way too much time browsing forums and backtesting or demo trading when in fact they should be watching the markets live. If they just watched the live market for a couple weeks, I guarantee that they would find a few ways to make profit from the market. Backtesting and Demo trading is like masturbation, you will learn nothing from it.

But a lot of people think that watching the market live is a waste of time because looking at charts in hindsight is no different. What they don't understand is that its a waste of time trying to look for patterns however if they looked at a chart and learned market dynamics they would be much ahead of the herd.

For example, say the Euro breaks upward, after a 15 pip pullback it consolidates, and then drops another 15 pips, then consolidates some more and start going up, stalls, and goes back down and drops another 10 pips, causing a massive downward spike and then rallies all the way up 45 pips and breaks to a new high. If you stared at these types of moves in real time you would know exactly where the amateurs and where the pros enter and how you could profit from it. You would know exactly where noobs put the stops and you could runs the stops with the pros, and then after 2 attempts when most amateurs give up buying the dips, you'd have a good risk/reward entry. You don't learn stuff like this by demo trading or backtesting.

So enough ranting, and time to get some sleep. Goodnight everybody.

well said
Bend over and assume the position for another 4 years of hope and change.

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

newark18

Postby newark18 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:43 pm

adaseb wrote:Backtesting and Demo trading is like masturbation, you will learn nothing from it.

You mean to tell me that all of my years of masturbation was all for naught?
Failure is an opportunity to learn.

ZEN

Postby ZEN » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:47 pm

adaseb wrote:I don't tell people either because they will think that since I made money doing it, so will they and they want me to teach them.

You don't know how many people are out there with unrealistic expectations who want to make $200 a day (typically what their job pays) with a $5000 account and no experience what so ever.

One guy said he will probably start trading AAPL (Apple stock) fulltime because he looked at the charts and everyday it has dips, and he will just buy at the dips. But I don't know what crystal ball he has laying around in his closet that will tell him which dips will be the swing lows.

When I got started in trading it was all fun and games. It was fun backtesting and demo trading and s**t. But now trading full time is a real bitch and sometimes really stressful. Sure you can make thousands a day but you really have to work for it. And I mean REALLY work for it. You have a very small margin for error. And the market is so dynamic with time that what works today might not work in the future.

I hate it with a passion when some noobs ask "How much can I make trading" or "how much do you make trading" or "what is the win rate with this method"

I really think that more people would succeed in trading if they just stopped browsing forums looking for indicators that plot an up arrow or down error when to enter/exit trades. Most people spend way too much time browsing forums and backtesting or demo trading when in fact they should be watching the markets live. If they just watched the live market for a couple weeks, I guarantee that they would find a few ways to make profit from the market. Backtesting and Demo trading is like masturbation, you will learn nothing from it.

But a lot of people think that watching the market live is a waste of time because looking at charts in hindsight is no different. What they don't understand is that its a waste of time trying to look for patterns however if they looked at a chart and learned market dynamics they would be much ahead of the herd.

For example, say the Euro breaks upward, after a 15 pip pullback it consolidates, and then drops another 15 pips, then consolidates some more and start going up, stalls, and goes back down and drops another 10 pips, causing a massive downward spike and then rallies all the way up 45 pips and breaks to a new high. If you stared at these types of moves in real time you would know exactly where the amateurs and where the pros enter and how you could profit from it. You would know exactly where noobs put the stops and you could runs the stops with the pros, and then after 2 attempts when most amateurs give up buying the dips, you'd have a good risk/reward entry. You don't learn stuff like this by demo trading or backtesting.

Very well said, very well. Plus, they want you to guarantee for their profit.
Today it's better!

MightyOne

Postby MightyOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm

ZEN wrote:

"If I give you $2,000 can you guarantee that I will not lose it" -ppl

I've heard that one before...

Just respond by saying that you will teach them how to trade for 50% of whatever they have to start an account with but you will not trade for them.
If they actually give you the money then hand it back to them and teach them how to trade.

bredin

Postby bredin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:05 am

When people ask me how much I make I answer with "Im doing alright"

When people ask me if they can make money doing it I answer with "I dont know"

When people give me their opinion I do not try to correct them.

I do not try to describe what I do, other than "Buy and Sell currencies"

When people ask me to learn them trading or to trade for them I get rid of tire kickers by naming stupid sums... "Want me to manage you money? Sorry I only take clients who have USD$500,000 cash." I want to see certain qualities before I commit my time to someone...

in seriousness, when someone askes what I do "I'm a Currency Trader" and I have no desire to elaborate, define, dumb down, or go into details. I dont care what a landscape gardener actually does either, Id rather talk about dreams and get to know a person. No one is defined by their occupation....

G.
Welcome to the era of "Guns and Maskies" Trading!
The previous message contains discretion. Viewer nudity is advised.
Insanity Industries Indicators Here
Insanity Industries on YouTube!

Humble

Postby Humble » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:00 am

bredin wrote: in seriousness, when someone askes what I do "I'm a Currency Trader"G.

It avoids the question "what's forex".
Is price closing higher or lower than something? Simple yet powerful question. ..MO

TygerKrane

Postby TygerKrane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:43 am

Wow! ALL YOU GUYS have made this thread both a humorous one and a thought-provoking one at the same time.

:smt038

@braathen:
I'm patiently waiting for the next opportunity to go all-out Tiger Crane Style on some fools...

**Krane catches Tyger** !>I'm here to chew bubble gum and make major pips...and I'm all out of bubble gum.<!

ajaymein

Postby ajaymein » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 am

Isn't amazing what one can do with a $5000 account and some genuine EXPERIENCE though? If you are doing things right and have your head straight, it's amazing how you can turn the expression "You need money to make money" completely astray

Jalarupa

Postby Jalarupa » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 am

MightyOne wrote:
ZEN wrote:

"If I give you $2,000 can you guarantee that I will not lose it" -ppl

I've heard that one before...

Just respond by saying that you will teach them how to trade for 50% of whatever they have to start an account with but you will not trade for them.
If they actually give you the money then hand it back to them and teach them how to trade.

Nice! Look what you done for all of us... :lol:

A true guru (teacher) if I ever saw one...

dragon33

Postby dragon33 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I never tell people really what i do even if they ask.
I just work like other people and they always laugh because they saw the changes in my life. If they keep pushing me to tell what i do i just tell them i have an amazing lotto system and i win so now and then.

After all i don't need to tell it much because i do not trust people immediately so i just have a select group of friends where i will die for and they for me.
Trading is like cycling, first you need to learn how.
Two options: you either lose or win!

Return to “general”