everything that doesn't belong elsewhere cometh here

Moderator: moderators

IgazI

Re: NCA 2: THE CHARTBOOK

Postby IgazI » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Gold.png
Gold.png (102.48 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
"Everything Should Be Made As Simple As Possible, But Not Simpler!"

Please add www.kreslik.com to your ad blocker white list.
Thank you for your support.

IgazI

Scaling Into Trades

Postby IgazI » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:38 pm

When scaling into a trade you do not want to be more than 50% invested early on:
1 + 1 + 2 = 1R
1 + 2 + 3 = 1R
2 + 3 + 5 = 1R

Take entry:
1 - when you're 52% sure about a move.
2 - when price makes a move.
3 - when the midpoint between your 2nd and 3rd entry feels like a safe location for a stop loss.

If you are not more than 50% invested then it doesn't really matter what price does because you will not be facing the possibility of a large loss.

Wizzlebizzle

Postby Wizzlebizzle » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:27 am

When I started collecting my own data and making my own observations a couple of years ago I discovered something interesting. I was tempted to put it on another form, just to get some confirmation on wether I was right or maybe made an error somewhere. I ended up not sharing it, because I thought if it were true it was too valuable to share on that particular forum.

I was playing around with the usual "beginner" tactics of "moving stop to break even after X amount in profit" and "taking half the position off at 1:1" and my conclusion was that they were both worse than just letting a position run. Then I delved deeper into why this is, from a mathematical standpoint. I remember pretty much proving (with some very simple formulas, I'm no math hero at all) that it makes mathematical sense to add to you positions.

Nothing new on this forum I know. But still great to find out on your own with own found evidence. I'll see later if I can find my findings in my notebook.

Jhx

Postby Jhx » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:23 pm

Wizzlebizzle wrote:When I started collecting my own data and making my own observations a couple of years ago I discovered something interesting. I was tempted to put it on another form, just to get some confirmation on wether I was right or maybe made an error somewhere. I ended up not sharing it, because I thought if it were true it was too valuable to share on that particular forum.

I was playing around with the usual "beginner" tactics of "moving stop to break even after X amount in profit" and "taking half the position off at 1:1" and my conclusion was that they were both worse than just letting a position run. Then I delved deeper into why this is, from a mathematical standpoint. I remember pretty much proving (with some very simple formulas, I'm no math hero at all) that it makes mathematical sense to add to you positions.

Nothing new on this forum I know. But still great to find out on your own with own found evidence. I'll see later if I can find my findings in my notebook.

That's interesting. If you happen to find your notes please go a bit more into that :D

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:49 pm

Wizzlebizzle wrote:When I started collecting my own data and making my own observations a couple of years ago I discovered something interesting. I was tempted to put it on another form, just to get some confirmation on wether I was right or maybe made an error somewhere. I ended up not sharing it, because I thought if it were true it was too valuable to share on that particular forum.

It's no mystery: time = range, size = money, time in the market with size = range & money.

I scale into trades because I realize that
ruth_langmore.png
ruth_langmore.png (142.72 KiB) Viewed 1240 times

All that I know is that I want more when I am winning and less when I am losing.

Jhx

Postby Jhx » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:57 pm

But when talking about scaling in like this, we're only talking about putting all the initial R at play, right?
It's not the same as adding in the sense of stacking, or is it?

Wizzlebizzle

Postby Wizzlebizzle » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:31 pm

Jhx wrote:

That's interesting. If you happen to find your notes please go a bit more into that :D

I can't seem to find it. I'll be able to regurgitate the gist of it when I have some time at hand.

This is another reason I would like one of them E-ink note taking devices :D

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:51 pm

Jhx wrote:But when talking about scaling in like this, we're only talking about putting all the initial R at play, right?
It's not the same as adding in the sense of stacking, or is it?

'Stacking' focuses on maximizing profit whereas 'scaling in' is more about minimizing risk.

IgazI

Postby IgazI » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 pm

Wizzlebizzle wrote:
I can't seem to find it. I'll be able to regurgitate the gist of it when I have some time at hand.

You should try Obsidian w/ the basics of how to use it and possibly take a course if you have money to burn. . .

or you could look for YT videos.

Wizzlebizzle

Postby Wizzlebizzle » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:18 pm

IgazI wrote:
Wizzlebizzle wrote:

You should try Obsidian w/ the basics of how to use it and possibly take a course if you have money to burn. . .

or you could look for YT videos.

Thanks. That looks handy indeed. I prefer to be able to work away from a PC, I lose my edge when I am behind my PC, especially in terms of flow.

I'm thinking along the lines of this https://remarkable.com. or https://supernote.com

Return to “general”